More not always Better

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMay

Enthusiast (all saws}
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did some work on a Husky 45 300 Anniversary edition for a good neighbor and friend. Saw just needed some TLC and minor tweaks. Did some educating when he picked it up. He's still happy with the saw. But then the blizzard came and so did he to my door asking me if I do repair work on snowblowers too. Of coarse, I said yes. Four stroke B&S engine on a generic chassis. Engine would not even pop. Had spark and compression, so asked about the fuel. He said it was fresh non oxy with Stabil added. I took a whiff from the tank and it smelled more like Stabil than gasoline. Gave it a shot of ether and it popped and ran for a second or two. So, drained the tank and the carb's bowl. Take a look at the photo of a sample of what was drained. Note how red the liquid is; no it's not from the pimento. I asked him how much Stabil he added. He said plenty because the forecast was for several days of pure subzero and that's w/o windchill. Mind you he's a retired National Weather Service meteorologist and not a mechanic. Happy ending was achieved by filling the tank with VP 4 Cycle 93 Octane. No Stabil added.

Attachments

• Too much Stabil.jpg
    Too much Stabil.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 0
I did some work on a Husky 45 300 Anniversary edition for a good neighbor and friend. Saw just needed some TLC and minor tweaks. Did some educating when he picked it up. He's still happy with the saw. But then the blizzard came and so did he to my door asking me if I do repair work on snowblowers too. Of coarse, I said yes. Four stroke B&S engine on a generic chassis. Engine would not even pop. Had spark and compression, so asked about the fuel. He said it was fresh non oxy with Stabil added. I took a whiff from the tank and it smelled more like Stabil than gasoline. Gave it a shot of ether and it popped and ran for a second or two. So, drained the tank and the carb's bowl. Take a look at the photo of a sample of what was drained. Note how red the liquid is; no it's not from the pimento. I asked him how much Stabil he added. He said plenty because the forecast was for several days of pure subzero and that's w/o windchill. Mind you he's a retired National Weather Service meteorologist and not a mechanic. Happy ending was achieved by filling the tank with VP 4 Cycle 93 Octane. No Stabil added.
What you drained from that tank would probably treat 20 gallons of fuel.... LOL

Back