Morso 3450 installation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JL43062

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been working through a fun project of fitting a Morso 3450 into my cabin... I call it fun because it's been quite challenging as it has required an "old work" installation of chimney (now complete), installation of surrounding non-flamable materials (cement board, brick tiles and steel siding), and now stove/stove pipe installation. I have high expectations of the stove's performance for heating the 900 sq ft "well insulated" place... Here are three things I'm trying to figure out:
  1. Soapstone installation. Hoping someone on this board is familiar with the technical installation of Morso 3450. The upper soapstone is secured to lower soapstone by use of dowels and stove top (see attached pic IMG_3888 and IMG3890 (pic through stove door to toward left bolt hole, light through hole between stovetop and inside steel work). But there is a bolt that needs screwed into a bushing from the inside of the stove--and without a substantial amount of disassembly of the stove, I don't see an easy way to fit hands or nutdriver into stove cavity. If anybody is familiar with this stove, I'd appreciate any sharing of solution... The instructions included withe stove are not detailed enough to answer my question. I've haven't found a solution anywhere online either.
  2. Fitment of Duravent 6DVL to the Morso 3450 flue. Attached (IMG_3889) is the picture of the stovepipe connector on 3450. I purchased a Duravent 6dvl-ad for the purpose, but it doesn't fit. I can likely make something fit, but definitely don't look to do this... especially if there is a part that I'm overlooking designed for this application. Both Duravent and Morso brands are common so I'm surprised there is nothing to interface the two. My experience in this is limited though. Any ideas?
I added IMG_3822 and 3887 to display project from higher level. The structure has 6" walls with eaves/gutter that was challenging for the chimney installation. Although I wanted to run chimney vertically through roof, this would have required repositioning of stove or joists. As I mentioned above, it was old work and I preferred re-framing the wall over the roof and space for stove is limited. I've seen many videos of how people have supported the chimney in installation similar to mine but I prefer my method and think it may help someone else pursuing similar project. The gutter has been reinforced to support the chimney, but that the chimney has a very low profile currently--may need to add additionl support (guy lines) if additional sections are found to be needed.

If anyone can provide direction/ideas/answers to my bullets above, great! I have a few weeks before I'll be returning to finish up the work... Thanks regardless--just lurking here has been valuable over the years--appreciative either way. Take care.

Attachments

• IMG_3889.jpg
    IMG_3889.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3888.jpg
    IMG_3888.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3822.jpg
    IMG_3822.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3887.jpg
    IMG_3887.jpg