Most common size to cut oak lumber for wood workers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Planning on cutting some lumber out of white oak. It’s a 4’ diameter + tree and was thinking 2x4 would be a good size but would like some other opinions. I’m thinking 3’ and 6’ long. I like keeping stuff little short so it don’t warp as bad and it’s lighter lol. Doing this Alaskan style with a 3120. I was thinking guys could make picnic tables and benches with them. I’m guessing some folks with money in there pocket would like to have a beautiful picnic bench in there deck area made of oak. Just a though lol. I’d really love to do a apple picnic table but the apple love to have lots of rot. Let me know what you guys think

I’ve been selling slabs for a couple years now and I’m into cutting thick slabs. My minimum is usually 3” thick and even that’s warps pretty good sometimes. I did some cedar that dried super flat actually. I don’t have a area yet for long slabs like bar tops but I would be opened to that if it’s a common seller. I’m also thinking doing some 4’x4’ square coffee tables. 3”-4”thick. Any thicker or longer I would be able to move it lol. That’s the problem I think I may run into milling big stuff Is if I can’t back my truck right up to it not sure I can load it lol

Depends on how good the log is. If it's gnarly, cut thick slabs as suggested. If it's clear, 4/4 would be better from a woodworkers view point. Need some 8/4 and 12/4 for table legs. Not much. Also consider Quarter Sawn 4/4 for W. Oak, too.
I don't understand your 3' or 6' lengths. I'd leave it full length, otherwise it's limiting on use.

Ok thank you. 3’ Chunk of tree is a lot more easy to more around over a 6’ piece Is one reason and 3’ would be a common leg size I’d think or just a good random size to build stuff. That’s my thinking right now. Full length at 6’ or so is a good idea too.

Build a cart for 8 to 12 footers. Wood scraps and 4 old kids bicycle wheels.

you could cut your 3 footers 8/8 then rip to 8/8 on table saw then sell online to wood turners. Might check online for most popular sizes of turning blanks. Probably have to dry wood quite well before ripping.

Don’t mill common sizes. Wood workers can buy common sizes all day long at woodworking supply shops. You want to mill thicker and wider slabs. wide lumber is hard to find. I mill and build furniture. I rarely mill thicker than 2 1/2”. After drying, I can flatten and plane to 2”, which is very reasonable for table tops. Any thicker is to hard to handle. Typically milling to 5/4, 6/4 and 8/4 is fine. Size of log, grain figure can be factors in determining thickness. You really can’t go wrong. Stack and sticker properly helps minimize warp, cup, twist etc. It is all useful and saleable.

Back