Most efficient chain grind / gage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maowwg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Not to start a war....

And just for fun....

Which gage of chain is most efficient? Your 3/8 low profile for weekend enthusiasts / homeowner saws cuts well with limited power and takes a narrow kerf. On my Echo 490 with a 16 inch bar it cuts quickly. Same saw with a .325 20 inch bar cuts slower. The logs were less than 16 inches so the bar length was of minimal impact.

So the bigger gage cut slower on the same saw and the low profile chain cut more efficient removing less wood with a more narrow kerf?

One can file the depth gages on any gage to take any depth of cut. It can’t be depth of cut

What’s the primary benefit of a larger chain gage?
Big saws run them for a reason.
Is it strength to handle being under more motor power? Do they dull slower? Or is an outlier because the 490 is underpowered for a .325 chain?

Pitch is the average distance between rivets.
Gauge in the chainsaw context it the thickness of the part of the drive link that goes into the bar. Many chains have the part that goes into the bar groove thinner than where the load on the rivet/pivot is.

Have you tried the 3690 Stihl 23rspro on that Echo 490?

What is the efficiency contest, cut a cant with the least energy expended, or weight of sawdust per energy used?

First .325 is smaller then 3/8 chain. (.375") The .325 is for smaller saws that don't make a lot of power. Think 50 cc ish and lower. The 3/8 lopro is used on smaller saws as well. Narrow curf and shorter profile needs less power in the wood. I've never noticed a massive difference on the same saw with good sharp chain in either as far as cutting speed. The .325 is noticeably smoother cutting, (in pro vs pro chain configurations) I would say if you noticed a huge difference in the same saw from one to the other it was from using different chain types or not having one properly sharpened.

First .325 is smaller then 3/8 chain. (.375") The .325 is for smaller saws that don't make a lot of power. Think 50 cc ish and lower. The 3/8 lopro is used on smaller saws as well. Narrow curf and shorter profile needs less power in the wood. I've never noticed a massive difference on the same saw with good sharp chain in either as far as cutting speed. The .325 is noticeably smoother cutting, (in pro vs pro chain configurations) I would say if you noticed a huge difference in the same saw from one to the other it was from using different chain types or not having one properly sharpened.
Same brand of new chain. Granted it was “Upstart” chain but same brand.

The .325 uses a bigger file and has bigger teeth. Gage notwithstanding, it’s a bigger chain
That’s why I was surprised it cut slower. Efficient for the purpose of this question is how fast it cuts vertically through firewood size logs regardless of the amount of wood removed. I don’t care about the volume of chip pile as I’m cutting logs not chips.

The .325 uses a bigger file and has bigger teeth. Gage notwithstanding, it’s a bigger chain
The Guage is the width of the driver. The pitch is the length between 3 links divided by 2. .325 is smaller then .375 cutter length non withstanding. A 5/32 file vs a 6/32 file between them isn't much if a difference and between personal preference and manufacturer you won't find much of a difference sharpening both chains with either file size. Thats a moot point. Cutting efficiency is governed by many things, cutter type, angles, profile, depth gauge height and chain type. Your not comparing apples to apples here, especially if your going off a low kickback variant vs a normal chain. Too many variables at play that your simply not accounting for.

.325" features more teeth/cutters on the same cutting length than 3/8" does.
More teeth = more resistance.
Also, 3/8" LowProfile generates a more narrow kerf than .325" does.
You wrote You don't care about the volume of the chip pile, but that is what makes all the difference - removing lesser material usually beats removing more material in any application.

Another thing to consider a 7 tooth .325" sprocket has a smaller outer diameter than a 7 tooth 3/8" , the bigger OD sprocket will drive the chain faster than the smaller OD sprocket as long as the utilized saw has the power to drive it without falling flat on its nose.

Switch up the game comparing full sized 3/8" pro chain to .325" chain on Your saw and Your application, You may see the tables turn!

In small diameter wood You are better off running 3/8"LP or .325", mostly for the benefit of a smoother cutting behaviour of those chains.
In medium to large diameter wood You are best off using full sized 3/8" pitch chain for the wider kerf it generates so the bar doesn't get pinched so easily. Also chip clearance is better than on 3/8"LP and .325".

Comparing 3/8"LP, .325", 3/8" Pro and .404" is generally moot as each pitch chain has a different intended application.

Back