Moved from Stihl to Echo 7310, so far, so good

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squidward

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up Echo 7310, replacing a Stihl MS 460 that was about 13 years old, but met with unfortunate user error accident.
Let's just say multi tasking on a steep hill with a bushhog was involved. Never trust a Chinese made bungee cord.

The Stihl was my previous favorite saw, but not without occasional issues.
When it had a sharp chain, it would cut through ash or oak like butter. Did not cut a lot of evergreen woods, but would have done even better on those, I expect.
But, the Stihl had a couple of minor issues. One, if you ran it until hot, then it ran out of gas, or you just needed a break, you had to be really careful starting it hot, or it would flood. The decompression feature made it easier to start, but sometimes it would disengage after you had given it a good crank or two, and if you did not double check, you'd give your pulling arm a good jolt. Finally, it was a little more prone to throw its chain than some saws I've used, including Stihl MS 290; old Craftsman, rental Husky, etc. So now, to replace it, looking at MS 462 or the 500. Both well over $1200 where I'm at. Latter probably bumping $1500 or more, out the door.
Ouch. The MS 460 was about $900 or so out the door.

The 462, if one goes by strict specs, is about 1/10 HP lower than the old 460. Close, but who wants less HP at more money?

The 500 sounds like a nice saw, but that's a lot of dough. Also sounds like brand new technology on the fuel Injection part. Guess they've used it on concrete saws, but still...

Finally, had a bad experience with Stihl dealer on a backpack blower that was maybe 2 days past its 2 year warranty. I'd bought MS 290 chainsaw, FS 85 trimmer, couple Honda mowers and a Deere from these folks over the years. The blower lost power and would not hold idle. I changed the plug and the spark arrestor myself.
No change. Took it in, expected, frankly, a warranty fix. They charged me $140 to adjust valves (yes, valves). I did not pitch a fit, but told the guy at the counter that's a good argument for Echo going forward. If he thought I was just venting, he didn't know me.

So, when replacing the MS 460, I went with Echo 7310.

Not a lot of mileage on it yet, but first impressions:
1) It starts easy, even hot.
2) Chain seems better than I expected. I kinda favor Stihl chains over most others, but the one on the Echo is decent so far. Makes the chips fly.
3) Good power. Echo doesn't make it easy to find HP specs. But in use, the saw feels very, very close to the MS 460. I've heard Echos take several tankfuls to develop full power. But out of the box, it is cutting very well.
4) Got the 24" blade. I think it could pull a 28", but this is a good, handy length for the trees on my property.
5) Weight--it's certainly no lighter than the 460. But not bad for a saw in the 70-80 cc class.
6) I tend to keep my saws stock. Had planned to one day have the 460 modded, before the bush hog incident. But I have seen reports that the 7310 can respond well to mods. Maybe someday...
7) Also, once engaged, the decompression seems to stay decompressed until you start it. As noted, with the Stihl 460, sometimes that feature would bite you if you did not double check, say you pulled it on choke, it barked once, indicating ready to flip off full choke. Sometimes I'd do that, give it a good rip, and discover the decompression button had disengaged. So far, Echo's version seems better.
8) Pure gas tough to come by around here. Stihl dealer claimed the valve issues on the blower resulted from using ethanol. Um, OK... Try to find a pure gas source these days. They exist, but they are few and far between. If you are making high end equipment in this day and time, you better be making it somewhat ethanol compatible. Otherwise, you better make something else. I use top tier premium. Not 87 or 89, ever; premium. Echo dealer said that is just fine, and recommended their red armor mix. . Guess we'll see.

I don't think Echo is really knocking on the door of Stihl or Husky yet. Around here, far. far more Stihl dealers. Of course, if they give their customers bad warranty experiences, they may lose a few, like me. I don't bash the basic Stihl product, I've had and still have several. But gone to Echo for my newest trimmer and last two chainsaws. Echo stuff is really nice out of the box. We'll see how it holds up, long term. I have 9 months on a 2511T, which is super nice and handy, just not anything like a felling saw unless you are felling Christmas trees.

I mainly maintain my own property, 59+ acres, maybe 5-7 acres wooded, all hardwoods. With exception of the backpack blower, the Stihl stuff served me well.
But trying Echo now, and so far, happy with it.

I don't think Echo is really knocking on the door of Stihl or Husky yet. Around here, far. far more Stihl dealers.

By this, I mean they aren't going to replace Husky or Stihl with a lot of commercial tree trimmers or forestry crews, due to the smaller dealership network.

But the Echo product seems excellent for the money. As I say, we'll see long term how it holds up.

I believe you can be sure that it has the power for a 28" or even a 30" bar and chain. My Echo CS-670 can do it. Frankly, it has always amazed me at how much power Echo engines will deliver, usually with smaller displacements than the competition. I agree that you have a good product for the money. Cheers!

Echo, like many other Japanese companies. Makes an excellent product, typically at a reasonable price point. In another thread I discussed why a former employer went away from stihl to echo. Since you have brought up longevity, I can also chime in there to an extent. My younger brother inherited our grandfather's little cs 330evl. It's a nice saw. Well built. Little on the heavy side imo, but has decent power. Starts easy and has been very reliable.

Echo, like many other Japanese companies. Makes an excellent product, typically at a reasonable price point. In another thread I discussed why a former employer went away from stihl to echo. Since you have brought up longevity, I can also chime in there to an extent. My younger brother inherited our grandfather's little cs 330evl. It's a nice saw. Well built. Little on the heavy side imo, but has decent power. Starts easy and has been very reliable.
Those old saws are really not relevant to anything new, different people decide what makes money these days.
You will find old saws form all kinda brands still running, those where made back in the day when longevity was actually a goal in design and production. Such nativity, now they want you to buy a new one a s quickly as possible - that's what makes money these days. I checked the service cost at a local dealer and its about like 60-70 dollas - each started 15 minutes! Obviously, considering taking the time finding a fault and then actually taking the time to take it all apart, order new parts and then to put it all back together again - that's a lot cheaper to just buy a new saw whatever is wrong with it.
However, no matter how solid they made it back in the 60's and 70's, all the rubber parts desintigrate in time and if they don't make new parts - that's living at borrowed time.

Those old saws are really not relevant to anything new, different people decide what makes money these days.
You will find old saws form all kinda brands still running, those where made back in the day when longevity was actually a goal in design and production. Such nativity, now they want you to buy a new one a s quickly as possible - that's what makes money these days. I checked the service cost at a local dealer and its about like 60-70 dollas - each started 15 minutes! Obviously, considering taking the time finding a fault and then actually taking the time to take it all apart, order new parts and then to put it together again - that's a lot cheaper to just buy a new saw whatever is wrong with it.
However, no matter how solid they made it back in the 60's and 70's, all the rubber parts desintigrate in time and if they don't make new ones - that's living at borrowed time.
I didn't go into any detail about the new echo equipment, as stated in my previous post, because I had literally just written my thoughts on their new products on another thread of similar nature. As an aside, no what most dealers charge per hour its not worth letting them do any serious work on any o p e. Hence the toss it and buy new mentality. Really has nothing to do with quality. It is a sad way to deal with equipment.

I didn't go into any detail about the new echo equipment, as stated in my previous post, because I had literally just written my thoughts on their new products on another thread of similar nature. As an aside, no what most dealers charge per hour its not worth letting them do any serious work on any o p e. Hence the toss it and buy new mentality. Really has nothing to do with quality. It is a sad way to deal with equipment.
At least Echo have a 5 year warranty for private customers, that's the same as when buying new car.

On same subject, my Farm Boss MS 290 had gotten hard to start some years back.

Took it to dealer where I bought it back in roughly 2001-2002, a combo John Deere/ Stihl (mostly) outfit.

They took it apart, called me to come get it and talk to the owner. He showed me all kinds of bad stuff with it. Fine sawdust particles, indicating I pushed it with a dull chain some time or other. Well, OK, can't say that never happened, though I try to keep sharp chains. He put some of the gas in a glass jar, shook it up, pronounced it looked like the mix was a little more than 50:1 in his estimation. Not sure about that; I know how to mix gas. Showed me some scoring on the piston. True enough. I had loaned it out at least once. Maybe they ran the wrong mixture or a little straight gas. Kinda doubt it, bc I'd expect it would have had a meltdown and fused to the cylinder wall. The saw was long out of warranty, so he wasn't doing the warranty dodge. He advised me it would not be worth it to put new jug and piston, could get a new comparable saw for less and that one would always be aggravating to start.

They gave me back the saw in a box of parts. I took it home, bolted it back together. Sprayed a little starter fluid in the spark plug hole, and reinstalled the plug and pulled the crank. It ran. Still runs and cuts wood as a back up saw to this day. It might take 5-6 good pulls, but will start without doing the starter fluid most times. I use it as a back-up saw.

It's early yet, we'll see how it holds up. But so far, honest impression, it has close to the power and cutting speed of the stock MS 460 it replaced. Not more, maybe a tiny scooch less, but very close. I liked the 460 a lot, but it was not perfect.

I really like my 7310 and think it’s an ideal pro level saw for the farmer/firewood/acreage maintaining kind of user. It’s a bit heavy for most arborists and loggers but I have no doubt it’s going to last as long and do as much work as the old 660 Mag I have. Never ran a 460 but I can see the 7310 being as close as you can get these days, honestly it feels a little ahead of the 660 but the 660 is probably down on compression.

My

Yep, the 7310 is not light, though not noticeably heavier than the 460 I had. I haven't hefted the Stihl 500i. Specs say it is a little lighter than the 7310.
The price and the new-ish technology were a turn off on the 500i. The price, mostly... Probably $600 difference, out the door.

I like echo, Still running their 770 backpack blower. I had a cs590 and a 303T That I used a lot. No complaints about them at all. I went back to Stihl when I needed a bigger saw and bought a 462cm. Price didn’t matter to me and I’m really happy with it. The 7310 was very new then but honestly wasn’t in the running either, I wanted the 462. Congrats on the new saw! It’s not a hooskie so you’re winning there!

I like echo, Still running their 770 backpack blower. I had a cs590 and a 303T That I used a lot. No complaints about them at all. I went back to Stihl when I needed a bigger saw and bought a 462cm. Price didn’t matter to me and I’m really happy with it. The 7310 was very new then but honestly wasn’t in the running either, I wanted the 462. Congrats on the new saw! It’s not a hooskie so you’re winning there!
Not a husqy..... 🤨

Picked up Echo 7310, replacing a Stihl MS 460 that was about 13 years old, but met with unfortunate user error accident.
Let's just say multi tasking on a steep hill with a bushhog was involved. Never trust a Chinese made bungee cord.

The Stihl was my previous favorite saw, but not without occasional issues.
When it had a sharp chain, it would cut through ash or oak like butter. Did not cut a lot of evergreen woods, but would have done even better on those, I expect.
But, the Stihl had a couple of minor issues. One, if you ran it until hot, then it ran out of gas, or you just needed a break, you had to be really careful starting it hot, or it would flood. The decompression feature made it easier to start, but sometimes it would disengage after you had given it a good crank or two, and if you did not double check, you'd give your pulling arm a good jolt. Finally, it was a little more prone to throw its chain than some saws I've used, including Stihl MS 290; old Craftsman, rental Husky, etc. So now, to replace it, looking at MS 462 or the 500. Both well over $1200 where I'm at. Latter probably bumping $1500 or more, out the door.
Ouch. The MS 460 was about $900 or so out the door.

The 462, if one goes by strict specs, is about 1/10 HP lower than the old 460. Close, but who wants less HP at more money?

The 500 sounds like a nice saw, but that's a lot of dough. Also sounds like brand new technology on the fuel Injection part. Guess they've used it on concrete saws, but still...

Finally, had a bad experience with Stihl dealer on a backpack blower that was maybe 2 days past its 2 year warranty. I'd bought MS 290 chainsaw, FS 85 trimmer, couple Honda mowers and a Deere from these folks over the years. The blower lost power and would not hold idle. I changed the plug and the spark arrestor myself.
No change. Took it in, expected, frankly, a warranty fix. They charged me $140 to adjust valves (yes, valves). I did not pitch a fit, but told the guy at the counter that's a good argument for Echo going forward. If he thought I was just venting, he didn't know me.

So, when replacing the MS 460, I went with Echo 7310.

Not a lot of mileage on it yet, but first impressions:
1) It starts easy, even hot.
2) Chain seems better than I expected. I kinda favor Stihl chains over most others, but the one on the Echo is decent so far. Makes the chips fly.
3) Good power. Echo doesn't make it easy to find HP specs. But in use, the saw feels very, very close to the MS 460. I've heard Echos take several tankfuls to develop full power. But out of the box, it is cutting very well.
4) Got the 24" blade. I think it could pull a 28", but this is a good, handy length for the trees on my property.
5) Weight--it's certainly no lighter than the 460. But not bad for a saw in the 70-80 cc class.
6) I tend to keep my saws stock. Had planned to one day have the 460 modded, before the bush hog incident. But I have seen reports that the 7310 can respond well to mods. Maybe someday...
7) Also, once engaged, the decompression seems to stay decompressed until you start it. As noted, with the Stihl 460, sometimes that feature would bite you if you did not double check, say you pulled it on choke, it barked once, indicating ready to flip off full choke. Sometimes I'd do that, give it a good rip, and discover the decompression button had disengaged. So far, Echo's version seems better.
8) Pure gas tough to come by around here. Stihl dealer claimed the valve issues on the blower resulted from using ethanol. Um, OK... Try to find a pure gas source these days. They exist, but they are few and far between. If you are making high end equipment in this day and time, you better be making it somewhat ethanol compatible. Otherwise, you better make something else. I use top tier premium. Not 87 or 89, ever; premium. Echo dealer said that is just fine, and recommended their red armor mix. . Guess we'll see.

I don't think Echo is really knocking on the door of Stihl or Husky yet. Around here, far. far more Stihl dealers. Of course, if they give their customers bad warranty experiences, they may lose a few, like me. I don't bash the basic Stihl product, I've had and still have several. But gone to Echo for my newest trimmer and last two chainsaws. Echo stuff is really nice out of the box. We'll see how it holds up, long term. I have 9 months on a 2511T, which is super nice and handy, just not anything like a felling saw unless you are felling Christmas trees.

I mainly maintain my own property, 59+ acres, maybe 5-7 acres wooded, all hardwoods. With exception of the backpack blower, the Stihl stuff served me well.
But trying Echo now, and so far, happy with it.
This picture should speed for it’s self I cut timber Monday through Friday every week all year I buy a new one every year since they released the saws very good cheap parts that are quality and strong I broke my first clutch handle the other day because a tree mashed the muffler and handle that saw in the pic there just good tough saws my 592XP is my new daily saw but broke 2 antivibe springs broke the handle safety lever for the trigger and two clips that have been lost off the top cover in 4 months.I’ve never had that problem from echo my last echo was my daily until I could get a 592 and that last saw was over a year old and had been through everything heat humid wet dry snow everything always starts. And it’s 800$ compared to the 592 at 1400$ no bar it’s a great saw but the parts that are plastic are thin for weight saving and it sucks for impact resistance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 6
We have 19.5 acres, small & about half in trees, another 3 acres that was clear cut & has three year old oaks & black cherry, some pines.
The remaining needs bush hog run over it.

Yep, it's a cost to repair issue, rather than a quality issue. I don't necessarily blame the dealers/shops for their labor rates...people happily pay a lot more than that for an auto dealer service tech to plug a computer into their car.

I've mostly switched to Stihls in recent years. I really like them, but they're part of the problem with their pricing on OEM parts. I'm probably going to get flamed by the OEM-nazis, but they aren't worth rebuilding with OEM parts...even someone like me who does their own work. Hence why I have a couple of older Stihls with aftermarket top ends.

Back