Moved from Stihl to Echo 7310, so far, so good

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been getting away from Stihl ever since my BIL retired as a Territory Rep. While it was nice to get things at a large discount, I always needed more and backups- way too finicky across all lines- trimmers, blowers and saws. And I was no longer in business.

I had always used ECHO when in business, before he joined Stihl, and was buying multiples of each every year for tax purposes.

Any of my ECHO equipment could be rode hard and put away wet, and it would ALWAYS start on the second pull. I have a Stihl MS 440 Magnum I'd gladly trade for a Echo if the same HP. I just dont want to mess around with it when I use it maybe twice a year to buck up big Hickory and Oak in the wintertime, when I colllect blowdowns at my ranch and split firewood.

I carry my Echo 340 TH in a case fueled and oiled everywhere I go in my Yukon XL, just for the day I get a tree down in my 1000' driveway at my ranch, and its been my go to for flaggin out Disc Golf course flyways when I am building a new course, beofe I bring in my skid steer and bushog.

I dont know how Echo does it, but the ability to start right up with whatever fuel is in it after 1.5 years, dirty and greasy, is a plus for me, and thats 35 or 40 years of consistent reliablity I have experienced.

Yes, I also went to to Echo as the saw everyone was using was an Echo. So I asked why and myself, (not realizing it myself) it was stated "It Starts every time I go to use it!" That was the take on the change and It has been that way every since. I just can't complain they just keep on cutting with no issues.

This picture should speed for it’s self I cut timber Monday through Friday every week all year I buy a new one every year since they released the saws very good cheap parts that are quality and strong I broke my first clutch handle the other day because a tree mashed the muffler and handle that saw in the pic there just good tough saws my 592XP is my new daily saw but broke 2 antivibe springs broke the handle safety lever for the trigger and two clips that have been lost off the top cover in 4 months.I’ve never had that problem from echo my last echo was my daily until I could get a 592 and that last saw was over a year old and had been through everything heat humid wet dry snow everything always starts. And it’s 800$ compared to the 592 at 1400$ no bar it’s a great saw but the parts that are plastic are thin for weight saving and it sucks for impact resistance
Soo, what you "discretly" try to say ,is that Echo profesional "grade" chainsaws ARE above Husqvarna and Stihl? The 5 year warranty "scares me"... They trust their products that much?! 😁🤔
People in the wood "stuff" here in Romania didn't even heard of Echo if you chat with them... Only Husqvarna and Stihl...

Soo, what you "discretly" try to say ,is that Echo profesional "grade" chainsaws ARE above Husqvarna and Stihl? The 5 year warranty "scares me"... They trust their products that much?! 😁🤔
People in the wood "stuff" here in Romania didn't even heard of Echo if you chat with them... Only Husqvarna and Stihl...
I really like the music of George Enescu. A very talented musician and violinist!

I have a few Sthil weedwhacker out in the shed that people give me to work on. A sheard flywheel key replace the flywheel not going to check another one thinking crankcase seals. Seen it many times with this brand. Had a friend that bought a weedwhacker at a pawn shop. Was asking for help with it. I just went in his shed got out the Echo about 10 years of old fuel started up pretty easy and ran good.

Picked up Echo 7310, replacing a Stihl MS 460 that was about 13 years old, but met with unfortunate user error accident.
Let's just say multi tasking on a steep hill with a bushhog was involved. Never trust a Chinese made bungee cord.

The Stihl was my previous favorite saw, but not without occasional issues.
When it had a sharp chain, it would cut through ash or oak like butter. Did not cut a lot of evergreen woods, but would have done even better on those, I expect.
But, the Stihl had a couple of minor issues. One, if you ran it until hot, then it ran out of gas, or you just needed a break, you had to be really careful starting it hot, or it would flood. The decompression feature made it easier to start, but sometimes it would disengage after you had given it a good crank or two, and if you did not double check, you'd give your pulling arm a good jolt. Finally, it was a little more prone to throw its chain than some saws I've used, including Stihl MS 290; old Craftsman, rental Husky, etc. So now, to replace it, looking at MS 462 or the 500. Both well over $1200 where I'm at. Latter probably bumping $1500 or more, out the door.
Ouch. The MS 460 was about $900 or so out the door.

The 462, if one goes by strict specs, is about 1/10 HP lower than the old 460. Close, but who wants less HP at more money?

The 500 sounds like a nice saw, but that's a lot of dough. Also sounds like brand new technology on the fuel Injection part. Guess they've used it on concrete saws, but still...

Finally, had a bad experience with Stihl dealer on a backpack blower that was maybe 2 days past its 2 year warranty. I'd bought MS 290 chainsaw, FS 85 trimmer, couple Honda mowers and a Deere from these folks over the years. The blower lost power and would not hold idle. I changed the plug and the spark arrestor myself.
No change. Took it in, expected, frankly, a warranty fix. They charged me $140 to adjust valves (yes, valves). I did not pitch a fit, but told the guy at the counter that's a good argument for Echo going forward. If he thought I was just venting, he didn't know me.

So, when replacing the MS 460, I went with Echo 7310.

Not a lot of mileage on it yet, but first impressions:
1) It starts easy, even hot.
2) Chain seems better than I expected. I kinda favor Stihl chains over most others, but the one on the Echo is decent so far. Makes the chips fly.
3) Good power. Echo doesn't make it easy to find HP specs. But in use, the saw feels very, very close to the MS 460. I've heard Echos take several tankfuls to develop full power. But out of the box, it is cutting very well.
4) Got the 24" blade. I think it could pull a 28", but this is a good, handy length for the trees on my property.
5) Weight--it's certainly no lighter than the 460. But not bad for a saw in the 70-80 cc class.
6) I tend to keep my saws stock. Had planned to one day have the 460 modded, before the bush hog incident. But I have seen reports that the 7310 can respond well to mods. Maybe someday...
7) Also, once engaged, the decompression seems to stay decompressed until you start it. As noted, with the Stihl 460, sometimes that feature would bite you if you did not double check, say you pulled it on choke, it barked once, indicating ready to flip off full choke. Sometimes I'd do that, give it a good rip, and discover the decompression button had disengaged. So far, Echo's version seems better.
8) Pure gas tough to come by around here. Stihl dealer claimed the valve issues on the blower resulted from using ethanol. Um, OK... Try to find a pure gas source these days. They exist, but they are few and far between. If you are making high end equipment in this day and time, you better be making it somewhat ethanol compatible. Otherwise, you better make something else. I use top tier premium. Not 87 or 89, ever; premium. Echo dealer said that is just fine, and recommended their red armor mix. . Guess we'll see.

I don't think Echo is really knocking on the door of Stihl or Husky yet. Around here, far. far more Stihl dealers. Of course, if they give their customers bad warranty experiences, they may lose a few, like me. I don't bash the basic Stihl product, I've had and still have several. But gone to Echo for my newest trimmer and last two chainsaws. Echo stuff is really nice out of the box. We'll see how it holds up, long term. I have 9 months on a 2511T, which is super nice and handy, just not anything like a felling saw unless you are felling Christmas trees.

I mainly maintain my own property, 59+ acres, maybe 5-7 acres wooded, all hardwoods. With exception of the backpack blower, the Stihl stuff served me well.
But trying Echo now, and so far, happy with it.
My guess you will never go back. I fought with Stihls back in the 1980s for a few years. Every truckload of firewood had to fix something always fell apart I put springs on the 028 muffler like a snowmobile kinda work the 041 the carburetor would always come loose. I bought a 50 Husqvarna special grey top. I never looked back I cut many truck loads and fixed nothing. This was so nice just cut firewood. I still have that saw and runs fine.

My guess you will never go back. I fought with Stihls back in the 1980s for a few years. Every truckload of firewood had to fix something always fell apart I put springs on the 028 muffler like a snowmobile kinda work the 041 the carburetor would always come loose. I bought a 50 Husqvarna special grey top. I never looked back I cut many truck loads and fixed nothing. This was so nice just cut firewood. I still have that saw and runs fine.
I think that's what a good quality product/chainsaw should/must be about: do the job flawlessly ,you do the obligatory maintenance= succes story 😁
I get tired and hungry before the Makita 6100 drinks up a tank of fuel...
Not a bad thing,since I want a break sooner anyway,plus the chain needs a file or two,plus I may have to top up the chain bar oil,plus I'm lazy 😂😎 anyway...

On same subject, my Farm Boss MS 290 had gotten hard to start some years back.

Took it to dealer where I bought it back in roughly 2001-2002, a combo John Deere/ Stihl (mostly) outfit.

They took it apart, called me to come get it and talk to the owner. He showed me all kinds of bad stuff with it. Fine sawdust particles, indicating I pushed it with a dull chain some time or other. Well, OK, can't say that never happened, though I try to keep sharp chains. He put some of the gas in a glass jar, shook it up, pronounced it looked like the mix was a little more than 50:1 in his estimation. Not sure about that; I know how to mix gas. Showed me some scoring on the piston. True enough. I had loaned it out at least once. Maybe they ran the wrong mixture or a little straight gas. Kinda doubt it, bc I'd expect it would have had a meltdown and fused to the cylinder wall. The saw was long out of warranty, so he wasn't doing the warranty dodge. He advised me it would not be worth it to put new jug and piston, could get a new comparable saw for less and that one would always be aggravating to start.

They gave me back the saw in a box of parts. I took it home, bolted it back together. Sprayed a little starter fluid in the spark plug hole, and reinstalled the plug and pulled the crank. It ran. Still runs and cuts wood as a back up saw to this day. It might take 5-6 good pulls, but will start without doing the starter fluid most times. I use it as a back-up saw.
Picked up Echo 7310, replacing a Stihl MS 460 that was about 13 years old, but met with unfortunate user error accident.
Let's just say multi tasking on a steep hill with a bushhog was involved. Never trust a Chinese made bungee cord.

When it had a sharp chain, it would cut through ash or oak like butter. Did not cut a lot of evergreen woods, but would have done even better on those, I expect.
But, the Stihl had a couple of minor issues. One, if you ran it until hot, then it ran out of gas, or you just needed a break, you had to be really careful starting it hot, or it would flood. The decompression feature made it easier to start, but sometimes it would disengage after you had given it a good crank or two, and if you did not double check, you'd give your pulling arm a good jolt. Finally, it was a little more prone to throw its chain than some saws I've used, including Stihl MS 290; old Craftsman, rental Husky, etc. So now, to replace it, looking at MS 462 or the 500. Both well over $1200 where I'm at. Latter probably bumping $1500 or more, out the door.

The 462, if one goes by strict specs, is about 1/10 HP lower than the old 460. Close, but who wants less HP at more money?

The 500 sounds like a nice saw, but that's a lot of dough. Also sounds like brand new technology on the fuel Injection part. Guess they've used it on concrete saws, but still...

Finally, had a bad experience with Stihl dealer on a backpack blower that was maybe 2 days past its 2 year warranty. I'd bought MS 290 chainsaw, FS 85 trimmer, couple Honda mowers and a Deere from these folks over the years. The blower lost power and would not hold idle. I changed the plug and the spark arrestor myself.
No change. Took it in, expected, frankly, a warranty fix. They charged me $140 to adjust valves (yes, valves). I did not pitch a fit, but told the guy at the counter that's a good argument for Echo going forward. If he thought I was just venting, he didn't know me.

2) Chain seems better than I expected. I kinda favor Stihl chains over most others, but the one on the Echo is decent so far. Makes the chips fly.
3) Good power. Echo doesn't make it easy to find HP specs. But in use, the saw feels very, very close to the MS 460. I've heard Echos take several tankfuls to develop full power. But out of the box, it is cutting very well.
4) Got the 24" blade. I think it could pull a 28", but this is a good, handy length for the trees on my property.
5) Weight--it's certainly no lighter than the 460. But not bad for a saw in the 70-80 cc class.
6) I tend to keep my saws stock. Had planned to one day have the 460 modded, before the bush hog incident. But I have seen reports that the 7310 can respond well to mods. Maybe someday...
7) Also, once engaged, the decompression seems to stay decompressed until you start it. As noted, with the Stihl 460, sometimes that feature would bite you if you did not double check, say you pulled it on choke, it barked once, indicating ready to flip off full choke. Sometimes I'd do that, give it a good rip, and discover the decompression button had disengaged. So far, Echo's version seems better.
8) Pure gas tough to come by around here. Stihl dealer claimed the valve issues on the blower resulted from using ethanol. Um, OK... Try to find a pure gas source these days. They exist, but they are few and far between. If you are making high end equipment in this day and time, you better be making it somewhat ethanol compatible. Otherwise, you better make something else. I use top tier premium. Not 87 or 89, ever; premium. Echo dealer said that is just fine, and recommended their red armor mix. . Guess we'll see.

I don't think Echo is really knocking on the door of Stihl or Husky yet. Around here, far. far more Stihl dealers. Of course, if they give their customers bad warranty experiences, they may lose a few, like me. I don't bash the basic Stihl product, I've had and still have several. But gone to Echo for my newest trimmer and last two chainsaws. Echo stuff is really nice out of the box. We'll see how it holds up, long term. I have 9 months on a 2511T, which is super nice and handy, just not anything like a felling saw unless you are felling Christmas trees.

I mainly maintain my own property, 59+ acres, maybe 5-7 acres wooded, all hardwoods. With exception of the backpack blower, the Stihl stuff served me well.
But trying Echo
I just bought a 620pw. My dealer told me I had to use the red armour as it is d rated. Otherwise warranty is void. I like the stuff ananyway so no big deal. Wanted to let you know so you don't run into warranty issues later.

I just bought a 620pw. My dealer told me I had to use the red armour as it is d rated. Otherwise warranty is void. I like the stuff ananyway so no big deal. Wanted to let you know so you don't run into warranty issues later.
Yea I heard the same thing at an echo event between two reps, I overheard them saying that the red armor you can see inside the saw I guess or something along those lines. I run it 32:1 in all my vintage 1960' s Remingtons, so far everything seems to run great, I know the old school saws love it

i have owned Stihl since i began cutting 40 years ago.
Along the way i have owned/run Husqvarna Dolmar Makita Solo Jonsered Redmax John Deere and Echo

Maybe you can see where this is going.
Currently:
MS460 , MS261 , MS201T , Dcs 6401 , PS-7900 , DCS-401 , CS-7310p , CS-620p , CS-501p , CS-361p , CS-355T , CS-2511T , CS-271T , CS-352

My 7310 has yet to see wood - taking my time with break -in running 40:1 non-ethanol - start and let in idle

However the big deficit of Echo is they vibrate more then Stihl Dolmar and Husky

the smoothest saws in comparison of all mentioned are Makita/Dolmar

I run an excavation/firewood business.Mostly stihl i rotate the saws out ever 2/3 years .we wanted to try some other brand saws so i got a echo 620pw/24" and 7310/28" they are bullet proof saws a little heaver than stihl comp size models but not bad at all. The 620 has a lot of torq the 7310 has the best air cleaner system of any saw we have you can buck dry ash all day and the filter is 90% clean at the days end , our new 500 and 400 under the same conditions every other tank clean filter .

I run an excavation/firewood business.Mostly stihl i rotate the saws out ever 2/3 years .we wanted to try some other brand saws so i got a echo 620pw/24" and 7310/28" they are bullet proof saws a little heaver than stihl comp size models but not bad at all. The 620 has a lot of torq the 7310 has the best air cleaner system of any saw we have you can buck dry ash all day and the filter is 90% clean at the days end , our new 500 and 400 under the same conditions every other tank clean filter .
i had a CS-590 with muff mod that we test cut against my sons 400c

the 590 beat the 400c - both saws 20" bars

Now the 400c was new and that could of been the slow down.

That was last year.
Since then i replaced the 590 with a 620p.
We will soon be doing another test cut with the 400c that is now at full power and also has a muff mod.

My 7310/28 has yet to see wood - for now it looks nice n new while i let her idle for brake in.

I always wondered why someone would change platforms when they have been loyal for many years. Your explanation answered that question. Thanks for sharing.

My CS-590 is my "go-to" saw most of the time here when I'm in bigger wood. I've been trying to "kill" it now for over 10 years and it never grumbles. I have a nice assortment of Echo saws and have for over 20 years.

I've also owned a few that were "turds" or just so-so. I've get the better ones and sent the rest on down the road.

The CS-670 and 800 aren't that impressive anyplace. OK and tough as nails but you will NEVER find yourself reaching for a CS-670 when you have a Husqvarna 268XP, 272XP or 372XP in the line-up. The CS-800 was the most disappointing of all I and kicked it to the curb quicky. Lackluster power, decent "grunt" and low RPM torque, but stalling against the clutch if you tried to lean it up and get some RPM out of it, oiling the bar all the time, useless flat air filter and prying out a rubber plug to make carb adjustments....well......none of those things should be any part of a "professional" saw.....IMHO.

In contrast the CS-590, 600P and 620PW are a HOMERUN in every area. Professional features, excellent anti-vibe, inboard clutch, only oil the bar when the chain is moving, ergonomic, good power to weight, "smooth" power curve, and tough as nails.

I also bought a CS-7310 and set it up for my brother, he absolutely LOVES it. He'll tell you it's not quite as strong as his 372XP in the upper RPM's but makes up for it with a nice smooth/flat power curve and runs the longer bars with equal authority and best of all no hot-restart issues whatsoever.

I also experience hot restart issue with my older saws, but only on days when it's so hot and humid out there you should be on your boat drinking a beer with a fishing pole in the water not busting your nutts cutting firewood! So that issue really isn't a big deal for me.

In any case you'll fine the limiters on the CS-7310 carb a bit difficult to remove. They are completely different that what is found on other Echo saws. Ours wasn't far off right out of the box like many Echo saws will be, but I still wanted FULL control with carb adjustments so removed them anyhow. I've had to "fatten" it up every so slightly couple of times now that it's got some hours on it, but otherwise it's been flawless..........
IMG_1177.jpg

Back