Moving a 40' container?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm considering relocating the container to the area I have staged logs in the past, moving about a 150' distance and a 90° turn.
I can only pick one corner at a time with my forklift, and have to do so from the side. Weight isn't the issue, as the end does not have the
structural support underneath the doors.
The tare weight, empty weight, is posted on it, but it's currently dark out and raining.
Has anyone moved one before? Dragged it with a pickup, or rolled it on logs?
The reason for moving it would be to construct a temporary roof shelter off of the container for the dump trailer and forklift. And also add staging space for more firewood bundles where the container currently is, adding three pallets down and four in the top row, x 16 rows or so, making room for about 30 cord.

I would try Shelter Logic, but I'm in the woods, and probably would have multiple holes in it in a month.

Yup, they are meant to be slung.
they bend pretty easily.
they should have skids under them if skidded. Welded-on steel ones preferably, but you might get away with wood. Big wood.
a small one might skid without bending. A 40' one would likely get bent in a move, especially around the 90* corner.
I've had a few drug around. One of the three got bent. They are supposed to have steel skids or be slung. The doors on the bent one never closed properly again.

Yes there are lift points on top of course. I believe they use rectangular spreaders and vertical lift on the cables so the rigging does not tension towards the hook buckling the container. It's not an option.
The 90° turn would be gradual.
Never considered bending it. The floor did flex when trying to pick with 4' wide forks on the end.
There are fork pockets on the side, but the spread is more than 4' (maybe 6') and my lift is rated 6,500, but that's a pallet between the tires of the piggyback. Extended is much, much less, plus extension forks even less. When double stacking rear tire traction is effected. When moving the PackFix with extension forks it's effected more so, and travel is a creep on flat ground.
I considered hiring an excavator on tracks to pull, semi lift one end from lower corners, anchor points.
I could move the log decks and get a semi tractor/landall trailer in to move it. Kind of tight, but had one in here to deliver it. Delivery was $500. port to port.
The logs piles in the third photo are processed and the left side is where I was considering, with extended roof next to drive. The open spot to the right of drive now has one load I'm starting on tomorrow.
Photos are December 14, 2018.
IMG_0137.jpgIMG_0153.jpgIMG_0115.jpg

We have used 4x6s on the ground as skids for large transformers and sheds . Lots of ivory soap to help with friction amazing how easy something moves over the wood . Moved my shed with everything in it about 150 ft without incident. Think this would work for your situation since the container wouldn't be racking watch from 17 minute mark. Shows it pretty well

I could use a welder. How many times have I said that? And how many tools does a guy need?
To make the dolly axle we split it in the center and widened it with 3”x3”angle iron so the tires were outboard to keep it as low as possible. We just attached it with chain binders but I guess you could build brackets and bolt it to the box or weld it on and cut it off when its in its new home. We had a welder and Portaband ..not very complicated.

A large wheel-loader with forks could just pick that up and put it anywhere. It's a common way to move empties when slinging options are unavailable.

Off topic, but you need a welder, just because.
I now live in suburbia and I use my wire feed at least every week all year around, and my 70 yr old stick welder a few times a year. Whole thought process changes for projects when you can stick steel together.
I may need to come visit you with a few projects . . .

Philbert

Back