Moving backwards: Northeasterners turn to burning wood for power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/17/moving-backwards-northeasterners-turn-to-burning-wood-for-power/
Americans living in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic U.S. are increasingly turning to a source of heat favored by humans for thousands of years: wood.
More and more people are using wood as their main source of heat as opposed to heating oil and kerosene.
The Energy Information Administration reports that, “All nine states in the New England and the Middle Atlantic Census divisions saw at least a 50% jump from 2005 to 2012 in the number of households that rely on wood as the main heating source.”
Those who switched to wood burning were spared high fuel oil and kerosene prices during this year’s harsh winter.
About 2.5 million households across the country now use wood as the main source of heat in their homes, up from 1.9 million households in 2005. And another 9 million households burn wood as a secondary fuel source for heating.
Millions of families faced skyrocketing energy prices as record low temperatures and snowfall hit much of the country. The U.S.’s constrained pipeline system could not keep up with the demand for propane and natural gas, causing prices to surge and utilities to burn oil and coal for power.
Midwesterners are expected to pay 54 percent more this winter on propane than last, reports EIA, and Northeasterners are expected to spend 7 percent more. Those who live in areas fueled by natural gas will pay 10 percent more this year and five percent more for electricity.
“Cold temperatures have continued to tighten heating oil supplies and helped drive up retail prices,” according to EIA. “Weekly U.S. residential heating oil prices increased by $0.20/gal during January and have averaged near $4.24/gal since the beginning of February.”

If the Northeast’s natural gas infrastructure is not improved and prices remain volatile during the winter, it might not be such a bad idea to burn wood for heat. But even that may become harder thanks to federal environmental regulators.
The Environmental Protection Agency recently updated its wood stove emissions standards that would effectively ban The EPA’s new action bans 80 percent of the wood-burning stoves in America, “the oldest heating method known to mankind and mainstay of rural homes and many of our nation’s poorest residents,” reports Forbes.
EIA notes that: “Most households still burn split logs, although wood pellet use has risen in recent years. And while households in higher income brackets are more likely to use wood, those at lower income levels who burn wood consume more on average.”

Saying what most here already know.

Hal

the only drawback,,,theres a whole lot more people in the USA now,,and even less wooded acres, and access to it...and you know,,the epa will do something about ANYONE getting ANY wood off of fed or state land...ovomits in charge.............

Always a few paranoids in the crowd. These transitions have been in progress since the '73 oil embargo, so much is old news. One important news flash since around '90 is how wood stoves have gotten cleaner and more efficient. Back in the day it was speculated that those two would be a hard match.
Since around the '70s increasing #s of power stations have been using otherwise valueless wood for fuel, starting with Burlington VT, and spreading about. Special-purpose rail cars for hauling that wood have been developed.
The NE is almost as heavily wooded as in colonial days, and storms & natural processes leave much wood available. If gummint agencies and towns would make more of this wood available as fuel, that'd be a big help. After the Monson tornado of '11, humongous amounts of wood were fed to tub-grinders, with no apparent interest in making it accessible for fuel for homeowners. The amount that volunteers working to clear the damage salvaged was close to 1%.
Accentuate the positive.

I've been selling firewood in south Jersey for 18 years now and this comes as no surprise to me. When I first started out I was selling half cords more than anything else. For the last 5 years or so, I've made a lot of 2+ cord deliveries.

Oh dear Olymon. There are already rules in place for cutting wood on Federal (USFS) land and the EPA has nothing to do with it. The rule is, you must get a permit. Read the permit, because there are site specific rules on it. It is $5 a cord here, except each tag is for 1/2 REAL cord and you have to have a tag attached to your load so people like me with a little pickup don't get our money's worth. I don't mind. I haven't cut on federal land for a few years.

Our area has pretty complicated rules. Other parts of the country no so complicated.

I hope I have debunked this latest EPA conspiracy. Once again, EPA does not control wood cutting on National Forest lands.

The main reason the midwest propane prices are jumping by so much is because they were so low compared to the rest of the country last year. The northeast typically pays more for it's energy because it has to be imported. The primary exception is wood which is often in high enough supply to be exported as a raw material. In addition to the wood which grows here, tons of manufactured wood products are imported as well. This includes wood for construction and pallets which in turn generates tons of waste for a landfill or scrap So it's no surprise that thrifty people here are looking at turning it into usable energy.

What I find amazing is the statement that using wood is "moving backwards." Using more of what's produced and sending less to the landfill should be considered moving forward. Plenty of people looking for wood for heat this year would think what gets sent to trash around here is shameful so I don't think it's moving backward at all.

The main reason the midwest propane prices are jumping by so much is because they were so low compared to the rest of the country last year. The northeast typically pays more for it's energy because it has to be imported. The primary exception is wood which is often in high enough supply to be exported as a raw material. In addition to the wood which grows here, tons of manufactured wood products are imported as well. This includes wood for construction and pallets which in turn generates tons of waste for a landfill or scrap So it's no surprise that thrifty people here are looking at turning it into usable energy.

What I find amazing is the statement that using wood is "moving backwards." Using more of what's produced and sending less to the landfill should be considered moving forward. Plenty of people looking for wood for heat this year would think what gets sent to trash around here is shameful so I don't think it's moving backward at all.

If I had to guess...I would guess most main stream media reporters are urban yuppies. You see it all the time with their reporting. A guy with half a dozen guns has an "arsenal". Anyone who lives someplace with more than one building and some barbed wire fencing around lives in a "compound".

Look at their sheer freakout over duck dynasty....

Wood heat to yuppies is a fireplace they burn a few times a year. No clue.

There's just this huge urban/rural disconnect. Used to post a lot at a mostly urban/white collar type place, I would read stuff from guys there like "everyone needs to take public transportation"! and they were serious! Oh, and they think they "carry" all the rural "red" areas with welfare, etc. They have no idea whatsoever how cheap their utilities and food and other things are because of the mostly crap pay and near colonial exploitation of the nation's rural areas.

Anyway, this resurgence of wood heat will continue, until they gradually ban most of the burners, directly from fed to local, or through the insurance companies. They just don't like people being independent, they want dependents they can give orders to.

All the government does is pass more and more laws. There never is "enough" law. Ya gots millions of people, all they do is pass/regulate/enforce laws. It's their growth industry. There's no incentive to say "well, we're done, we can go back to the private sector now".

Nope, never will happen. not easy anyway. It's never happened in the past anyplace short of a big war wiping out some nation or government, or it just completely collapsed from malfeasance and incompetence. Not a single example I can think of of any big organized government voluntarily giving back power/money/authority once they hit some level. Nope. More, more and more is the basic model. it can be taken away by force, but they will never give it up or ever admit they are over reaching or have become inimical to their .."citizens".

Insurance companies...have to continually figure out how to charge more, and pay out less. Full time guys, that's all they do. No matter what they say in their commercials, that's the business they are in.

And I will counter with my thoughts that wood heat is not for densely populated areas--cities and towns. Some of us do have sensitive lungs and our valleys out here are major smoke collectors during the right weather conditions.

Look up the killer fogs of London and the Pennsylvania steel country, if you want to really return to the "good" old days.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/17/moving-backwards-northeasterners-turn-to-burning-wood-for-power/
Americans living in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic U.S. are increasingly turning to a source of heat favored by humans for thousands of years: wood.
More and more people are using wood as their main source of heat as opposed to heating oil and kerosene.
Hal

Because of global warming balderdash, the Brits are buying wood from the US to make heat, but they are using the heat to generate electricity. Great idea!
Lets clearcut the US and ship it all to Europe!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...uge-cost-YOU-pay-cleaner-greener-Britain.html

You have to be frugal when you heat with wood like me. i heat with hardwood pallets and bundles of slabs from local sawmills. i cut and split when i can weather permitting.
Waste not want not my friends. ;):chop:

Oh dear Olymon. There are already rules in place for cutting wood on Federal (USFS) land and the EPA has nothing to do with it. The rule is, you must get a permit. Read the permit, because there are site specific rules on it. It is $5 a cord here, except each tag is for 1/2 REAL cord and you have to have a tag attached to your load so people like me with a little pickup don't get our money's worth. I don't mind. I haven't cut on federal land for a few years.

Our area has pretty complicated rules. Other parts of the country no so complicated.

I hope I have debunked this latest EPA conspiracy. Once again, EPA does not control wood cutting on National Forest lands.
oh really,,ms high and mighty??? theres more than one state park,,around her, that wont allow ANYONE to cut wood,,..why??? because its for the animals!! never mine there is soo much of it,,that they trip over it...and guess what,,highness,,ive checked!! so there goes your bs argument.......do me a favor,,take your high attitude,,and dont answer my posts..remember,,you siad you had me on ignore..apparently not...

If I had to guess...I would guess most main stream media reporters are urban yuppies. You see it all the time with their reporting. A guy with half a dozen guns has an "arsenal". Anyone who lives someplace with more than one building and some barbed wire fencing around lives in a "compound".

There's just this huge urban/rural disconnect. Used to post a lot at a mostly urban/white collar type place, I would read stuff from guys there like "everyone needs to take public transportation"! and they were serious! Oh, and they think they "carry" all the rural "red" areas with welfare, etc. They have no idea whatsoever how cheap their utilities and food and other things are because of the mostly crap pay and near colonial exploitation of the nation's rural areas.

Anyway, this resurgence of wood heat will continue, until they gradually ban most of the burners, directly from fed to local, or through the insurance companies. They just don't like people being independent, they want dependents they can give orders to.

All the government does is pass more and more laws. There never is "enough" law. Ya gots millions of people, all they do is pass/regulate/enforce laws. It's their growth industry. There's no incentive to say "well, we're done, we can go back to the private sector now".

Nope, never will happen. not easy anyway. It's never happened in the past anyplace short of a big war wiping out some nation or government, or it just completely collapsed from malfeasance and incompetence. Not a single example I can think of of any big organized government voluntarily giving back power/money/authority once they hit some level. Nope. More, more and more is the basic model. it can be taken away by force, but they will never give it up or ever admit they are over reaching or have become inimical to their .."citizens".

Insurance companies...have to continually figure out how to charge more, and pay out less. Full time guys, that's all they do. No matter what they say in their commercials, that's the business they are in.
:clap::clap::clap: MOST gov workers,aint known for having much ambition.....how about the new epa one,,that will ban most woodstoves on the market now?? and yet you have those same yuppies on here,,praising the gov for doing this,,just because they are soooo green and have already bought one of the new stoves..BIG DEAL!!!! this is SUPPOSED to be america..not nazi germany...oh, i know,,the older stoves,,are so inhumane to the animals,,smokes em right out.......

You have to be frugal when you heat with wood like me. i heat with hardwood pallets and bundles of slabs from local sawmills. i cut and split when i can weather permitting.
Waste not want not my friends. ;):chop:
me thinks people arent wasting.....it takes time,,to do what you are doing..some want to do it there way,,by the cutting of trees. i thought this was america???

And I will counter with my thoughts that wood heat is not for densely populated areas--cities and towns. Some of us do have sensitive lungs and our valleys out here are major smoke collectors during the right weather conditions.
Look up the killer fogs of London and the Pennsylvania steel country, if you want to really return to the "good" old days.
That's an unreasonable association. Valleys aren't any different in the east you know, and I'm old enough to remember driving into town from our house on the hill in the winter and crossing the line from fresh air into smoke filled air. We also had mills running up and down the river back then making paper, brake shoes, rubber products, and a host of other goods. The mills are gone now and the valleys look clear. But the type of fuel burned to does not necessarily dictate the technology behind the burner nor does it mean pollution is necessary.

Because of global warming balderdash, the Brits are buying wood from the US to make heat, but they are using the heat to generate electricity. Great idea!
Lets clearcut the US and ship it all to Europe!
Well, it wouldn't be the first time. With clearcutting and exporting, much of the east coast was bare by 1800. Americans were moving west and shipping timber east so it could be sent out of the country. Even if we don't ship it to Europe today, much of what's logged out here goes north of the border so it can be turned into boards and sent back.

You got it there Zogger. Honestly, as cheesy as all the "reality" type "backwoods" shows are, I really don't mind them. Why you ask ? Because it shows folks catching, and shooting gators in the head, folks in Alaska going out to the yard and whacking a Chicken's head off, bearded yahoo's (very rich yahoo's I might add) killing Ducks, etc..... "Living off the grid" is a troubling term to the dolts in the major news networks. To them, it equates to some deranged person or mentally unstable person ready to commit some heinous crime, simply because they don't want to live under the watchful eye of big government, or conform to what big government THINKS what a productive society should look like.

The way things are now, you could still theoretically get around epa restrictions on how wood heaters are built. Get some plans and take them to a welding shop and have one made. Or if you have your own backyard shop, make one yourself. I welded up a wood heater once out of a large water heater tank from plans obtained from Mother Earth News magazine. It was a wood hog and a beast for making heat. I used it to heat an uninsulated shop on a farm. It's still sitting in the woods somewhere with a tarp over it, ready to be fired up again someday. But forget about keeping your insurance policy with an "unapproved" heater. The only way rural people could get around this is to form local Amish type communities whereby they insure themselves. Home or barn burns down? No problem. The community gets together and raises another one up within weeks. That cuts out the insurance middle man both ways. It's called true self sufficiency, but the only way to do it is through real communities. Isolated, disorganized rural people will always be at the mercy of the powers that be.

The " back to the land" movement is alive and doing well.
Yup, just like in the 1970's when the US peaked in oil production and we saw all sorts of alternative energy and back-to-the-land changes. Now the world has peaked and we're using the most expensive and difficult to get fossil fuels, and we're seeing the same thing. Wood heat will be a big part of it, but it won't be an answer for everyone. Those that can access and harvest their own will be in good shape, and some that can pay for others to deliver it.

But if you cannot access it on-site then all types of wood fuels depend on fossil fuels in the delivery chain somewhere, to greater and lessor degrees. Therefore the cost of wood fuels will rise with those FF costs. Beyond that, it is incompatible with the life of leisure and entertainment that most expect, and certainly the idea of applying ones' own physical labor and time just for something like heat is inconceivable (unpleasant surprises are coming).

The "backwards" comment likely comes from those who have been indoctrinated in the near-universal belief in perpetual progress - the idea that science and technology are moving us from some primitive past toward a future of unlimited energy among the stars. From this view any use of older techniques and methods is going backwards. Some studying of the cycles of history might help.

More reasonably, wood heat is also incompatible with various building types, and in some densely populated areas it will create health hazard (just like it did once upon a time). I worry about attempts to use wood for running centralized power generation - that is a possible recipe for deforestation on a wide scale.

I'm sure it varies by area

Wood chips are playing a much bigger role in the harvest during the past years around here. Tops that were typically left for firewood are being ground up and shipped as biomass. One of the last operations I helped out with for a couple days was actually skidding the entire tree to a pasture that was being used as a landing. The saw logs were bucked and anything left went straight to the chipper. Most cull trees went directly into the chipper.

Not an expert by any means, but I see the good side as nothing is wasted, and the operation actually seems to move a lot faster. The down side is finding sites to harvest for firewood are become more difficult to track down and there are no brush piles left that provided wildlife habitat and put nutrients back in the soil as they decay.

Take Care

Back