MS 151 (T C E ) Hardly a Pro Saw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHden

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm just a homeowner but have found myself with more chainsaws than I need, both for work around my property and I find I like working on them. I have a MS261 (non CM), several MS170s, and a beautiful MS200T I just finished refurbing, also rebuilt an MS461 in bad shape. Still, I find myself in love with the size and weight of the MS151T. As has already been said, it's just sooo cute. The light weight is greatly appreciated as I just hit some very tender age numbers.

Last week, I handled probably the only one in my state at a dealer. Yes, it is VERY cute but I left with my wallet in my pocket. Why?

I've rebuilt an MS461, worked on my MS261, rebuilt the MS200T and numerous times, have completely disassembled and reassembled the MS170. I understand good mechanical and have done a fair amount of electro mechanical design. I know WHY I wanted the "pro" MS151T.

Walked away totally disappointed in Stihl and perhaps in the way their products may be heading. The starter is held by 3 screws into plastic only, where others have 2 in metal, 2 in plastic. Looking at good photos of the parts, the starter (fan cover) bosses in the main housing are pretty pathetic. Looks more like a $29 vegetable chopper. The recessed hanging clip literally looks like it was made from a large gauge paper clip. One end goes a short distance into the housing, looking like a $2.99 lawn tool. Our UK brethren have good coverage with photos of the destruction of that clip, happening as I envisioned. There is no magnesium housing / crankcase. The engine has tiny halves which I assume are magnesium. The whole dang housing and tanks are all plastic. The engine, with tiny metal halves, IMHO, rapidly approaches a clamshell, not that they are bad. Stresses on the bearings are not spread out to the wider side walls of the MS200T for instance.

So, I'm looking at plastic, plastic and more plastic. No way in heck can you call this a "PRO" saw, especially for the $619 price tag. It really is not much better than the MS170 for $199. I can tell you that for a fact from my work on them and design experience.

OHHH, almost forgot. There is no metal back plate for the bar mount as you have for Echo (?) or perhaps other small plastic saws. On the MS200T, I had quite a bit of wear where the bar sits. Any overheating of Stihl's plastic will either burn or distort it over time. Very poor.

My question (phew) is should I buy an MS151T anyway? It just bugs me how it is built.

try using a 200 or 201t at full arms reach up a tree, and then use the 151, and things might make a bit more sence.
The two pound reduction is a thing of joy. I only have a problem with the over $600 tag for a saw that is built pretty much the same as the $199 one and ignore several critical areas like the lack of a bar plate and the cheap wire hanging clip that has had negative comment for years already. But I also realize that as a tree topping saw, you're going to sell a tiny fraction of the quantity so has to be priced accordingly.

So you want a saw 2 pounds lighter- but with all the exact same features of a 200T?
The 151 is not a 200 and was never designed to be- it is meant for lighter smaller diameter less demanding cuts in short bursts whilst the user is up inside the crown.
It is a pro saw, for arborists- not a fallers saw, not a firewood saw, not even an urban dwelling pallet hackers saw.

I had the stihl 150 the one before it. Nice light trim saw with the 1/4" micro chain.

The echo 2511 5.07lbs is the smaller lighter saw in this category and even cheaper cost still. Around 450 new.
But it comes with 3/8LP. Lot of folks switch them to the full 1/4" or micro 1/4" for smoother cuts.

Last 2 pics from guy overseas when comparing the too long ago in a thread.

s150afffff.jpgs150weight.jpg
thss.png
ths.jpg

I love my little 151. I use it all the time. I bought a second one just to keep in the Ranger. I will drop a pine and use that saw to limb it up. It's fast and does not wear a person out.

I don't know how you walked away thinking this is not a quality saw.

I love my little 151. I use it all the time. I bought a second one just to keep in the Ranger. I will drop a pine and use that saw to limb it up. It's fast and does not wear a person out.

I don't know how you walked away thinking this is not a quality saw.
I would say they are built like they are to save weight. I have 4 150T's love them all. Yesterday that was the only saw I used for clearing heavy vines and small trees in a yard that was heavily overgrown. The small micro chain and the narrow tip like a carving bar makes it way harder to kickback compared to other saws. This is always the saw I grab when I want to limb stuff going in the Chipper.

I can see that I'm getting hung up on the word Pro in a mechanical and build sense (from my 461, 261 and 200T exposure) and not in the actual use. You guys are pretty unanimous in your approval of the saw, for its intended purpose. I didn't hear any complaints about warm starting, cases cracking, hanging clip failing so I guess this is a pretty good endorsement ... right ? :) Bottom line is that I do want the size and weight and will likely spring for it soon. I also held a 194T an hour ago, along with my 200T. It doesn't seem to bring anything to the table for my purpose (size, weight). I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can fix any 151T problems because of 4 Stihl repair techs I've spoken to, none had ever worked on a 150T or 151T.

Didnt even need timing changed to me. Open that dang muffler and fix carb for full adjustments.

Some pics of muffler before after I saved before mine. Then did my carb.

View attachment 1088866View attachment 1088867View attachment 1088868View attachment 1088869
I did half of the muffler enlargement that you did, and gave it 6 deg.
Just used a 2mm allen key, and like the 461, just moved the H needle past the plastic ribs that hold the needle with a few clicks as it went.

ms150degreewheeladvance.jpgms150mmod.jpg

very capable little saw for up to 6-8" limbs

not too loud, but it does sound like an angry caged animal now, tho I wouldnt hesitate to get the echo 2511 and do the same things to that.

I can see that I'm getting hung up on the word Pro in a mechanical and build sense (from my 461, 261 and 200T exposure) and not in the actual use. You guys are pretty unanimous in your approval of the saw, for its intended purpose. I didn't hear any complaints about warm starting, cases cracking, hanging clip failing so I guess this is a pretty good endorsement ... right ? :) Bottom line is that I do want the size and weight and will likely spring for it soon. I also held a 194T an hour ago, along with my 200T. It doesn't seem to bring anything to the table for my purpose (size, weight). I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can fix any 151T problems because of 4 Stihl repair techs I've spoken to, none had ever worked on a 150T or 151T.
Well if you have to split the engine cases on one you need special tools, everything else you can do easily. I have seen only carbs go bad on them so far.

I did half of the muffler enlargement that you did, and gave it 6 deg.
Just used a 2mm allen key, and like the 461, just moved the H needle past the plastic ribs that hold the needle with a few clicks as it went.

View attachment 1089038View attachment 1089039

very capable little saw for up to 6-8" limbs

not too loud, but it does sound like an angry caged animal now, tho I wouldnt hesitate to get the echo 2511 and do the same things to that.
Do the full mod on the muffler, it works great. What is it a 151 or 150 you have there? According to Brad Snelling a timing advance on a 151 slows its performance` there is a You Tube video to show this. I can tell you a MM on a 150 and a timing advance will work great.

Do the full mod on the muffler, it works great. What is it a 151 or 150 you have there? According to Brad Snelling a timing advance on a 151 slows its performance` there is a You Tube video to show this. I can tell you a MM on a 150 and a timing advance will work great.
was happy with the gains of that, I worked it out via a percentage but cant remember the numbers now, I know you can go too far on opening up mufflers too, so the reason for the calcs and not going as far as others.
maybe next time its down for maintainence I might give it another look :).

was happy with the gains of that, I worked it out via a percentage but cant remember the numbers now, I know you can go too far on opening up mufflers too, so the reason for the calcs and not going as far as others.
Open it all the way like you started to do.

Time the cuts before and after.

Back