MS 151 (T C E ) Hardly a Pro Saw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time the cuts before and after.
Do the full mod on the muffler, it works great. What is it a 151 or 150 you have there? According to Brad Snelling a timing advance on a 151 slows its performance` there is a You Tube video to show this. I can tell you a MM on a 150 and a timing advance will work great.
It's a new 151. I was happy to see Brad's comment on timing so I can skip it for now (while it's new). If I need any case cracking, I can machine a nice cracker / puller / pusher. That's probably years away :)

A few months back I got set up to make my own chains. Now along comes the 0.043 / 1/4" I'd like everything 0.050 but will see how the fine chain performs.

I'm just a homeowner but have found myself with more chainsaws than I need, both for work around my property and I find I like working on them. I have a MS261 (non CM), several MS170s, and a beautiful MS200T I just finished refurbing, also rebuilt an MS461 in bad shape. Still, I find myself in love with the size and weight of the MS151T. As has already been said, it's just sooo cute. The light weight is greatly appreciated as I just hit some very tender age numbers.

Last week, I handled probably the only one in my state at a dealer. Yes, it is VERY cute but I left with my wallet in my pocket. Why?

I've rebuilt an MS461, worked on my MS261, rebuilt the MS200T and numerous times, have completely disassembled and reassembled the MS170. I understand good mechanical and have done a fair amount of electro mechanical design. I know WHY I wanted the "pro" MS151T.

Walked away totally disappointed in Stihl and perhaps in the way their products may be heading. The starter is held by 3 screws into plastic only, where others have 2 in metal, 2 in plastic. Looking at good photos of the parts, the starter (fan cover) bosses in the main housing are pretty pathetic. Looks more like a $29 vegetable chopper. The recessed hanging clip literally looks like it was made from a large gauge paper clip. One end goes a short distance into the housing, looking like a $2.99 lawn tool. Our UK brethren have good coverage with photos of the destruction of that clip, happening as I envisioned. There is no magnesium housing / crankcase. The engine has tiny halves which I assume are magnesium. The whole dang housing and tanks are all plastic. The engine, with tiny metal halves, IMHO, rapidly approaches a clamshell, not that they are bad. Stresses on the bearings are not spread out to the wider side walls of the MS200T for instance.

So, I'm looking at plastic, plastic and more plastic. No way in heck can you call this a "PRO" saw, especially for the $619 price tag. It really is not much better than the MS170 for $199. I can tell you that for a fact from my work on them and design experience.

OHHH, almost forgot. There is no metal back plate for the bar mount as you have for Echo (?) or perhaps other small plastic saws. On the MS200T, I had quite a bit of wear where the bar sits. Any overheating of Stihl's plastic will either burn or distort it over time. Very poor.

My question (phew) is should I buy an MS151T anyway? It just bugs me how it is built.
I am not familiar with the 150 or 151, My 015 is about 40+ years old. It is a pruning/limbing saw. It is a fantastic saw. Until the electronic ignition went out a couple years ago, it has never missed a lick. I bought a coil/trigger from fleabay and it went right back to work. If you don't like the current models go look for an older one. I used it for one handed pruning often. I have used it for firewood and dropping trees too, with the 12" bar limiting it to 24-26" dia trees to drop. the 1/4" chain is a good mating to the saw's capabilities. I would not pay $600+ for a 151 either.

New MS151TC ? came home this morning. I love it. Runs great, sounds great, cuts agressively on some smaller stuff I tried. Important thing is it's light, it cuts, feels right in your hand, and I can live without the metal. Incidentally, the climbing ring is much heavier gauge and secured differently from what I've seen (I think).

It does not feel like it has easy2start and I did not think the 150 or 151 could be had without. All parts diagrams show the easy2start spring. Since all I have is the SN to go by, I'll have to check with Stihl on monday. My dealer just told me that none of the 151s have easy start. I'll remain confused but happy without it.

New MS151TC ? came home this morning. I love it. Runs great, sounds great, cuts agressively on some smaller stuff I tried. Important thing is it's light, it cuts, feels right in your hand, and I can live without the metal. Incidentally, the climbing ring is much heavier gauge and secured differently from what I've seen (I think).

It does NOT appear to have easy2start and I did not think the 150 or 151 could be had without. All parts diagrams show the easy2start spring. Since all I have is the SN to go by, I'll have to check with Stihl on monday. Part number on the main label shows: 1146 967 3410 which I cannot find anywhere.
Price check?

Price check?
$619 with 12" bar. The saw does not appear to have easystart which is fine with me. That's a -E. Stihl is unclear as to how one would order that. A PN does not exist for such a model per a 2022 state quotation I found. Just curious about your prowling region. Is that the straight shot to the shore?

$619 with 12" bar. The saw does not appear to have easystart which is fine with me. That's a -E. Stihl is unclear as to how one would order that. A PN does not exist for such a model per a 2022 state quotation I found. Just curious about your prowling region. Is that the straight shot to the shore?
NJ Pine Barrens for sure.

"All the cool kids are doing it"...went the way of the dodo in '92.

As to the 150, you bought a sales/marketing ploy. Lightest saw? Also toy saw. Wondering why you / a person can't make a 150 work like a 200T is like being disappointed in an old tube of caulk.......

I'm just a homeowner but have found myself with more chainsaws than I need, both for work around my property and I find I like working on them. I have a MS261 (non CM), several MS170s, and a beautiful MS200T I just finished refurbing, also rebuilt an MS461 in bad shape. Still, I find myself in love with the size and weight of the MS151T. As has already been said, it's just sooo cute. The light weight is greatly appreciated as I just hit some very tender age numbers.

Last week, I handled probably the only one in my state at a dealer. Yes, it is VERY cute but I left with my wallet in my pocket. Why?

I've rebuilt an MS461, worked on my MS261, rebuilt the MS200T and numerous times, have completely disassembled and reassembled the MS170. I understand good mechanical and have done a fair amount of electro mechanical design. I know WHY I wanted the "pro" MS151T.

Walked away totally disappointed in Stihl and perhaps in the way their products may be heading. The starter is held by 3 screws into plastic only, where others have 2 in metal, 2 in plastic. Looking at good photos of the parts, the starter (fan cover) bosses in the main housing are pretty pathetic. Looks more like a $29 vegetable chopper. The recessed hanging clip literally looks like it was made from a large gauge paper clip. One end goes a short distance into the housing, looking like a $2.99 lawn tool. Our UK brethren have good coverage with photos of the destruction of that clip, happening as I envisioned. There is no magnesium housing / crankcase. The engine has tiny halves which I assume are magnesium. The whole dang housing and tanks are all plastic. The engine, with tiny metal halves, IMHO, rapidly approaches a clamshell, not that they are bad. Stresses on the bearings are not spread out to the wider side walls of the MS200T for instance.

So, I'm looking at plastic, plastic and more plastic. No way in heck can you call this a "PRO" saw, especially for the $619 price tag. It really is not much better than the MS170 for $199. I can tell you that for a fact from my work on them and design experience.

OHHH, almost forgot. There is no metal back plate for the bar mount as you have for Echo (?) or perhaps other small plastic saws. On the MS200T, I had quite a bit of wear where the bar sits. Any overheating of Stihl's plastic will either burn or distort it over time. Very poor.

My question (phew) is should I buy an MS151T anyway? It just bugs me how it is built.
I can take it if you don't want it. I would love one of these. Same as my teeny Makita but just gas.

Latest posts

Back