MS 170 upgrade to MS 180?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan on putting an adjustable carb on it as well. Once I get it put back together that is. Thank you for the feed back. Piston is on its way hope to have it put together this weekend.
There are a few different methods, but here's one way. If you already have the info, just disregard

Yup the wt215 carb swap made a huge difference on my 170. Timing advance and muffler mod was quite helpful too after the carb swap

well worth the $40

Yup the wt215 carb swap made a huge difference on my 170. Timing advance and muffler mod was quite helpful too after the carb swap

well worth the $40
Same thing I did to mine, with a 14” 050 bar. Turned it into a completely different saw.

the 16 is just too long for it, and the .043 is just the sheer opposite of durable.

Same thing I did to mine, with a 14” 050 bar. Turned it into a completely different saw.

the 16 is just too long for it, and the .043 is just the sheer opposite of durable.
I’ve been happy with the 16” but all it cuts is lodgepole or branches for me. Have fell a few 24-26” lodgepoles with it

Alright I ran into a little problem. I order's a aftermarket piston with an 8mm wrist pin. Bingo everything fits and lines up except for the circlips won't go into the ends of the piston on either side. I usually don't have a problem with circlips. Has anyone ran across this or know exactly what size circlips I need for a Hyway piston 38 mm with 8 mm wrist pin?

Alright after waiting for the correct circlips to arrive got the saw all together. It fires up nicely and have finished the break in. I have learned a few things here, just cause they look the same doesn't mean they are. Piston wrist pin being different mm through me for a loop. Thanks for the info on that helped me get the correct piston. Also I had to pull the whole motor assembly out of the case to put the oil tank it first seeing as I forgot to since It came to me apart. Well here it is I put my in law 180 next to it for comparison. Mine is on the right. I plan on doing more upgrades as I go through (carb, side tensioner, bumper spike, ect.).

Attachments

• 20211218_144654.jpg
    20211218_144654.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211218_144712.jpg
    20211218_144712.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back