MS 170 upgrade to MS 180?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushswamper523

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok so I recently acquired a MS170 "box saw". It came with a 180 top end. The wrist pin is too large for the piston rod(since is it a 170 connecting rod). Is there a work around to get them to work or should I order a 170 top end. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys in advance.

Thanks for the replys. I was given this box with all the stuff so I was going to try to make it work. I will just order the correct piston and head. Also if you wanna give me a "box" husky I would love to put it together.

Thanks for the replys. I was given this box with all the stuff so I was going to try to make it work. I will just order the correct piston and head. Also if you wanna give me a "box" husky I would love to put it together.
I love messing with saws too. I would take any that were free. I am slightly partial to Husqvarna, but also own Dolmar, Echo and Stihl equipment.

Thanks guys that is what I will do order the 018 piston from hyway. That was what I was hoping for. I appreciate the info and I will let you guys know how the build goes. I love working on chainsaws. I don't care make or model I just love taking a wreck someone thought they couldn't fix and getting it running and cutting again

Ok so I recently acquired a MS170 "box saw". It came with a 180 top end. The wrist pin is too large for the piston rod(since is it a 170 connecting rod). Is there a work around to get them to work or should I order a 170 top end. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys in advance.
The effort is pointless. A 170 is 100 bucks, all day, anywhere, as is the 180. Is this question based on your budget? Throw everything in the garbage, and go buy a new saw for $150, at Ace Hardware, with a warranty.....

The effort is pointless. A 170 is 100 bucks, all day, anywhere, as is the 180. Is this question based on your budget? Throw everything in the garbage, and go buy a new saw for $150, at Ace Hardware, with a warranty.....
It I just to get a saw on the bench and building one just for fun. It probably is pointless but it will be my mess around saw in the yard

It I just to get a saw on the bench and building one just for fun. It probably is pointless but it will be my mess around saw in the yard
It will be less & less pointless moving forward as it becomes harder & harder to buy new 2 stroke powered equipment in your neck of the woods... & the ability to repair saws etc you have been developing for fun will become more & more valuable

Thanks for all the replies it will be a fun little project and set me up for the next big project. Appreciate all the feedback and the help and I will post again once the saw is complete with some pictures of where it was to what it became

If you find it runs lean once you're done there are a few posts about upgrading the carb to an adjustable one. I prefer to just replace the fixed jet (or drill them out in .05mm increments)
Good luck. :)

I had one that I played with too. Sold it, but still have the original carb and a 14” stihl 050 bar if you want them.

I did a MM, advanced the timing, and put an adjustable carb on it. Woke it up quite a bit, and was perfect to tool around the yard with on the back of my tractor.

Yes they are cheap, but it was fun using it to learn and if I broke something, it didn’t break the bank.

let me know if you want the carb and bar. Have fun tinkering with it!

I had one that I played with too. Sold it, but still have the original carb and a 14” stihl 050 bar if you want them.

I did a MM, advanced the timing, and put an adjustable carb on it. Woke it up quite a bit, and was perfect to tool around the yard with on the back of my tractor.

Yes they are cheap, but it was fun using it to learn and if I broke something, it didn’t break the bank.

let me know if you want the carb and bar. Have fun tinkering with it!
I plan on putting an adjustable carb on it as well. Once I get it put back together that is. Thank you for the feed back. Piston is on its way hope to have it put together this weekend.

Good to hear. Remember to take pics and post them! It’s always nice to see how a project turns out, even if it’s only a cheap saw.

Oh, use a dremel with a good bit when hogging out the holes in the plastic for the mix screws. I tried to use a drill and kind of butchered it. You can use a rubber car firewall plug to help seal the hole and keep fines out after it’s done.

Good to hear. Remember to take pics and post them! It’s always nice to see how a project turns out, even if it’s only a cheap saw.

Oh, use a dremel with a good bit when hogging out the holes in the plastic for the mix screws. I tried to use a drill and kind of butchered it. You can use a rubber car firewall plug to help seal the hole and keep fines out after it’s done.
Do you have a picture to reference for the car firewall plug?

Something like the attached pic. Any good auto parts store should have something similar. They make oval ones too. Just gotta find a small one.

I have a a drawer in my tool box that collects stuff like this. Little rubber hose caps, plugs, weird shaped plastic bits, etc. Junk that just comes in handy sometimes.

Attachments

• F1F3C005-79C4-489C-B7DB-FE95F550DBED.jpeg
    F1F3C005-79C4-489C-B7DB-FE95F550DBED.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back