MS 201 C-EM And Similar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard Justice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is wrong thread. I read and research here often and rarely post. Learned so much here. Thanks!
Need advice on MS 201 C-EM (rear handle) and similar Husky and Echo and ? Looking for lightest (~10 lbs) powerful saw for delimbing (in disaster response) and small firewood cutting. Ive used 170/180, 211, 250 and up. My fave is the 261. Now need lightest strong saw for oldest member of our team…. Me.

The Husqvarna comparable would be the obsete 339xp. They never made a rear handle version of the gasoline 540. They may have a rear handle version of the other top handle 35cc.

Makita 3601 I believe rates real close to that Stihl (hp) for about half the cost.

Go ahead and get the Stihl if you want.

The Husqvarna comparable would be the obsete 339xp. They never made a rear handle version of the gasoline 540. They may have a rear handle version of the other top handle 35cc.

Makita 3601 I believe rates real close to that Stihl (hp) for about half the cost.

Go ahead and get the Stihl if you want.
Thank you.

You are on target with that rear handle powerhouse. I had a MS194-C come thru the Shop back in the Spring. Dirty carb, poor fuel, low hours, farm owned machine. I cut with it for 2 hrs. after service. In no time it limbed up some deadfall while wanting for more. At 7 lbs, it was effortless for this mid-'60's woodsman.

You are on target with that rear handle powerhouse. I had a MS194-C come thru the Shop back in the Spring. Dirty carb, poor fuel, low hours, farm owned machine. I cut with it for 2 hrs. after service. In no time it limbed up some deadfall while wanting for more. At 7 lbs, it was effortless for this mid-'60's woodsman.
Thank you Captain Bruce. I’ve researched its predecessor (200) and the 201 on forums and reviews. If we can swing the $ I’m leaning that way.

Is this saw happy with Tru fuel 50:1? We are all Stihl and use only Tru fuel. TIA

The 201 rear handle is a great little saw, I always try to keep one around. They have the easy start system, which makes starting them very easy if you follow the starting sequence. The sip fuel, have the captive bar nut and the return to run feature on the master switch. The picco chain hold an edge great and really helps these little saws to cut fast for their size.
While many of the die hards continue to rave on about the 200's, the 201 will take it's lunch money in actual cut times(stock or with equal mods), and smoke it in average cut times per tank as it get's substantially better fuel economy.

I know that Echo video title says 360T, but that saw is a 362TES (european model) or 361P (US model). The 360T was an older top-handle saw. Either way, its a great saw. $100 more than the 3510, but maybe worth it in the long run. The Makita is a hair less $$ than the 361P but weighs almost a pound more. Unless your saw is to be used as a daily money-maker, I'd find it difficult to recommend spending 2x for the Stihl 201, but I'm "value conscious" (a cheapskate.)

Impressive? Ported and muffler mod?
Not ported, but its a 360 top handle with the 361 rear handle mounted on to it.
The 360T have a slightly larger carburettor than the others, and with a muffler mod it responds well to it.
Also I have a super narrow .043 chain on it. The wood is birch.

The 201 rear handle is a great little saw, I always try to keep one around. They have the easy start system, which makes starting them very easy if you follow the starting sequence. The sip fuel, have the captive bar nut and the return to run feature on the master switch. The picco chain hold an edge great and really helps these little saws to cut fast for their size.
While many of the die hards continue to rave on about the 200's, the 201 will take it's lunch money in actual cut times(stock or with equal mods), and smoke it in average cut times per tank as it get's substantially better fuel economy.

Thanks for this post!

Back