MS 216 C-M: Clutch shoe broke....and needle cage, washer, & E-clip gone. Why? How?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good tip. Thanks! I never touched this one though....so maybe a fluke or it got messed up in some other manner.
Once that clutch cracked up, it likely jammed against the washer that in turn jammed the e-clip and wrecked it but good. A loose but intact clutch will do that, and one in a cracked up condition might do it even worse. I'm surprised it wasn't chopped in half. Good Pics, Trains and RustyB.

I took the clutch out today, using cord as a piston stop. I was surprised how tight it was on! When I install the new clutch, I assume I don't have to get it as tight due to the way it spins while running. Is that correct?

Also, I made an observation that may have contributed to this little catastrophe. There was a fair amount of thread-sized material wrapped up in the groove the e-clip fits in. I assume it was the fibers of bark. At any rate, perhaps it caused the e-clip to come off which started the cascade of other events. ??

I also found half of one of the broken clutch retainers behind the clutch. It scuffed up the pump quite a bit....but I can't see that it damaged it beyond that.

Damn! Sorry to see it. For future reference and I’m not saying this was the cause of your issue, but just a useful tip - e-clips lose their spring and should be replaced If there isn’t a firm and secure snap when you install them. If they slip on with moderate ease then bin them or they can just fall off. I have had this happen. Also e-clips should be placed with their flat side facing out, the curved side facing the clutch drum.

edit to add: also, don’t bend them together tighter hoping they’ll work again, they won’t. If they don’t secure with a firm snap in their current state, bin them.
I don't think that is wise...bending a tempered steel clip. Once bent the metal structure is changes and will never be as strong...and will actually be weakened.
Bad natach of clips rather than clutch shoes? Quite possible

Good tip. Thanks! I never touched this one though....so maybe a fluke or it got messed up in some other manner.
Something to think about when pulling the drum to grease the needle bearing. Replace the e-clip every so often. Maybe I shouldn’t grease them so often!

Something to think about when pulling the drum to grease the needle bearing. Replace the e-clip every so often. Maybe I shouldn’t grease them so often!
Yeah, continually taking stuff on and off takes it's toll eventually. I think that the guys that post a lot about stripped spark plug threads are the same guys that constantly take their plugs out to look at them or clean them, etc..

Yeah, continually taking stuff on and off takes it's toll eventually. I think that the guys that post a lot about stripped spark plug threads are the same guys that constantly take their plugs out to look at them or clean them, etc..
Probably right, the MS461 is an exception to that rule, though. They have some sort of alloy issue that causes the plug threads to strip pretty easily. Personally, I only pull a plug when I'm looking for scoring, using a piston stop, or the saw floods/won't run. I've seen Husky saws from the 80's with the old green Bosch plugs in them that still run great, so I don't worry about swapping plugs out too often.

I've seen Husky saws from the 80's with the old green Bosch plugs in them that still run great, so I don't worry about swapping plugs out too often.
I was wondering what vintage those green Bosch plugs were. I have one from an old saw I was working on. Maybe I’ll reuse it just to keep things as authentic as possible.

Latest posts

Back