MS 241 - What B/C???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DP425

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Broke down and ordered a MS 241 from the UK. It will be here next week. I decided to just get the power head.

So I've been running chainsaws for probably the better part of 30 years; nothing even remotely close to professionally. But I've also fell a LOT more trees than the average home owner (that is obviously not saying all that much).

Anyway, I've recently found I have a problem. For nearly 25 years I've used an 026 Pro, almost exclusively. It was getting pretty tired, so I started looking at replacements...

In the last week, I've bought an MS 241, MS 261 and MS 500i. And I have my eye on an MS 400 too. I cannot explain why I'm finding myself with an irresistible need to buy these things! Truth be told, the 261 and 500 cover all bases I'll ever need, but I can't seem to help myself.

Subject at hand- I need to figure out what bar and chain to run on this 241.

Current / planned saws:
-193T: 14" .375 picco / 0.050
-026 Pro: 16" & 18" .325 / 0.063
-261: 16" & 18" .325 / 0.063
-400: 20" .375
-500: 25" .375 / 0.050

I heat with wood on a pretty hungry outdoor wood burner; that's my primary motivation. I have been entertaining getting into easy / straight forward tree removal for hire; I'm retired from the Army, and having a day or two of work a week might not be such a bad thing- it would also presumably, help keep my firewood stacked high & deep.

So, I really don't even know where this 241 fits in my selection, but everything I've read on it about how well it handles, I couldn't resist. My gut intuition is, with a light bar, this will be my go-to saw when my back is giving me trouble and I'm too stubborn to just rest. In that event, I would be using this saw for everything from falling small trees, to limbing and bucking. I'd also bet my father in law asks to borrow it a good bit.

Initial thoughts were, 16" .325 / 0.063, or 16" - 18" .375P / 0.050. Unfortunately, I don't believe a light weight bar at 18" is made in picco configuration.

Suggestions?

Short light weight bars don't gain you that much as the weight savings isn't that much and they don't have the long lever moments present in long bars. Been there, done that.

I'd run a .325 7 pin rim on a 16" bar pulling a RS chain on a 241. You could go with a 3/8 LP bar and chain, but it's a challenge to locate chain of that size that isn't safety chain.

It's really easy to rebuild a high hour 026 and the experience will help you maintain your other saws. A new set of crank seals and piston rings might bring the saw back to showroom performance.

Short light weight bars don't gain you that much as the weight savings isn't that much and they don't have the long lever moments present in long bars. Been there, done that.

I'd run a .325 7 pin rim on a 16" bar pulling a RS chain on a 241. You could go with a 3/8 LP bar and chain, but it's a challenge to locate chain of that size that isn't safety chain.

It's really easy to rebuild a high hour 026 and the experience will help you maintain your other saws. A new set of crank seals and piston rings might bring the saw back to showroom performance.
Thanks!

For the 026, I'm actually going to make it a little restoration project. Already picking up covers and what not. When I get a little time, I'll really dig into it and see what the piston looks like. Definitely putting money into it that I won't get back out, but I think it's going to be an enjoyable project over the winter. I'd like to get it looking factory new!

Thanks!

For the 026, I'm actually going to make it a little restoration project. Already picking up covers and what not. When I get a little time, I'll really dig into it and see what the piston looks like. Definitely putting money into it that I won't get back out, but I think it's going to be an enjoyable project over the winter. I'd like to get it looking factory new!

026 is an easy saw to refresh, and agree with doing rings and crank seals, along with a carb refresh, new fuel lines, new impulse, and perhaps new intake boot. I'd do a muffler mod on it, too. Lots of parts out there for these saws, too.

On the 241, I'd run .325 on a 16" bar, too.

BTW - thanks for your service. I'm about to retire after 25+ years in the Army.

Almost forgot - get a beat up plastic Poulan for your FIL to borrow!

. You could go with a 3/8 LP bar and chain, but it's a challenge to locate chain of that size that isn't safety chain.
Like Lone Wolf recommended, the Stihl 63PS is non-safety, full-chisel 3/8LP (Picco). However, somebody here tested the reduced-kickback version (63PS3) a few years ago and it was just as fast as the regular PS.

Broke down and ordered a MS 241 from the UK. It will be here next week. I decided to just get the power head.

So I've been running chainsaws for probably the better part of 30 years; nothing even remotely close to professionally. But I've also fell a LOT more trees than the average home owner (that is obviously not saying all that much).

Anyway, I've recently found I have a problem. For nearly 25 years I've used an 026 Pro, almost exclusively. It was getting pretty tired, so I started looking at replacements...

In the last week, I've bought an MS 241, MS 261 and MS 500i. And I have my eye on an MS 400 too. I cannot explain why I'm finding myself with an irresistible need to buy these things! Truth be told, the 261 and 500 cover all bases I'll ever need, but I can't seem to help myself.

Current / planned saws:

I heat with wood on a pretty hungry outdoor wood burner; that's my primary motivation. I have been entertaining getting into easy / straight forward tree removal for hire; I'm retired from the Army, and having a day or two of work a week might not be such a bad thing- it would also presumably, help keep my firewood stacked high & deep.

So, I really don't even know where this 241 fits in my selection, but everything I've read on it about how well it handles, I couldn't resist. My gut intuition is, with a light bar, this will be my go-to saw when my back is giving me trouble and I'm too stubborn to just rest. In that event, I would be using this saw for everything from falling small trees, to limbing and bucking. I'd also bet my father in law asks to borrow it a good bit.

Initial thoughts were, 16" .325 / 0.063, or 16" - 18" .375P / 0.050. Unfortunately, I don't believe a light weight bar at 18" is made in picco configuration.

Suggestions?
What did it cost and how much is shipping?

What did it cost and how much is shipping?
About $580 for the saw, and another $150-ish for shipping. Definitely more than I wanted to spend. But, maybe it will have the latest Mtronic version on it? I'm hoping it's at least made in Germany. I'll have a fit if the thing is made in the US, but not available here!

Current / planned saws:

Suggestions?
I think most of us here have some type of chainsaw addiction... I certainly do.

The MS241 is a rockin’ little saw, and you’re gonna love it!

Stihl dealers regularly sell PS chain, it's not hard to find at all.

241s really zip with it.

I dont think you need to order a bar. Sell it brand new for a few grand in 20 30 years
I thought about buying two of them and keeping one in the sealed box.
Given the really limited numbers of these saws, being an import saw, and factory new in box... Yeah, 20-30 years could have someone salivating over it, ready to dump a month or two of pay on it.

I cannot explain why I'm finding myself with an irresistible need to buy these things!
You should probably get a PCR test, I'm sure you'll test positive, well for something lol.

Welcome to AS DP. I'm just west of you a hop skip, east of GR :hi:.
As others have said, the picco is my choice on a 241.
It's very easy chain to sharpen, and holds an edge well. One thing I really like about it for jobs is that the chips are very small, which makes cleanup easier/faster.
I think the 026 would be cool to replace the seals on, then a new set of rings(piston if needed), then have it ported or at least modded a bit. The 026 is a nice light 50cc saw, that turns into an animal when ported. This may help the saw buying problem, but it may create a new problem:chainsaw:.
PS, you're only 25-40min away from a great porter ;).

You should probably get a PCR test, I'm sure you'll test positive, well for something lol.

It's very easy chain to sharpen, and holds an edge well. One thing I really like about it for jobs is that the chips are very small, which makes cleanup easier/faster.
I think the 026 would be cool to replace the seals on, then a new set of rings(piston if needed), then have it ported or at least modded a bit. The 026 is a nice light 50cc saw, that turns into an animal when ported. This may help the saw buying problem, but it may create a new problem:chainsaw:.

That’s all I need! Another rabbit hole to throw my money down!! 😂

Poor guy has creamsicle CAD.

I thought about buying two of them and keeping one in the sealed box.
Given the really limited numbers of these saws, being an import saw, and factory new in box... Yeah, 20-30 years could have someone salivating over it, ready to dump a month or two of pay on it.

Are these not available to you locally, or were you specifically aiming to have a German made unit?

I know some months back, our local Stihl dealer had some 241's but no 261's.

Are these not available to you locally, or were you specifically aiming to have a German made unit?

I know some months back, our local Stihl dealer had some 241's but no 261's.
I wasn't aware that any were made outside of Germany.

I haven't seen one at a dealer in a long time.

Back