MS 241 - What B/C???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s all I need! Another rabbit hole to throw my money down!! 😂
You're welcome :cheers:.
Anytime you'd like to run some ported or modded saws let me know, and we'll work something out.
Poor guy has creamsicle CAD.
Yeah, but a guys gotta learn somehow :p.

I wasn't aware that any were made outside of Germany.

I haven't seen one at a dealer in a long time.

I've no idea their origin(s), just going off the OP. The postal lady a few weeks back found it amusing that a box of parts I sent to Germany was manufactured in Germany 30-40 years ago. Homecoming.

They are a newer dealer, so maybe they had to buy up whatever was currently available from their source. I'm really not sure. But there was one on the shelf, and they wouldn't sell either the floor models 241/261 they did have. Also no idea why.

I don't frequent that shop except for emergencies.

I wasn't aware that any were made outside of Germany.

I haven't seen one at a dealer in a long time.
Stihl used to make the MS241 both in Germany and at their USA plant in Virginia. Stihl stopped manufacturing the 241 in the United States 3 or 4 years ago.

It’s likely manufacturing of the MS241 will soon be discontinued in Germany too as Stihl is really pushing

Broke down and ordered a MS 241 from the UK. It will be here next week. I decided to just get the power head.

So I've been running chainsaws for probably the better part of 30 years; nothing even remotely close to professionally. But I've also fell a LOT more trees than the average home owner (that is obviously not saying all that much).

Anyway, I've recently found I have a problem. For nearly 25 years I've used an 026 Pro, almost exclusively. It was getting pretty tired, so I started looking at replacements...

In the last week, I've bought an MS 241, MS 261 and MS 500i. And I have my eye on an MS 400 too. I cannot explain why I'm finding myself with an irresistible need to buy these things! Truth be told, the 261 and 500 cover all bases I'll ever need, but I can't seem to help myself.

Subject at hand- I need to figure out what bar and chain to run on this 241.

Current / planned saws:
-193T: 14" .375 picco / 0.050
-026 Pro: 16" & 18" .325 / 0.063
-261: 16" & 18" .325 / 0.063
-400: 20" .375
-500: 25" .375 / 0.050

I heat with wood on a pretty hungry outdoor wood burner; that's my primary motivation. I have been entertaining getting into easy / straight forward tree removal for hire; I'm retired from the Army, and having a day or two of work a week might not be such a bad thing- it would also presumably, help keep my firewood stacked high & deep.

So, I really don't even know where this 241 fits in my selection, but everything I've read on it about how well it handles, I couldn't resist. My gut intuition is, with a light bar, this will be my go-to saw when my back is giving me trouble and I'm too stubborn to just rest. In that event, I would be using this saw for everything from falling small trees, to limbing and bucking. I'd also bet my father in law asks to borrow it a good bit.

Initial thoughts were, 16" .325 / 0.063, or 16" - 18" .375P / 0.050. Unfortunately, I don't believe a light weight bar at 18" is made in picco configuration.

Suggestions?
Broke down and ordered a MS 241 from the UK. It will be here next week. I decided to just get the power head.

So I've been running chainsaws for probably the better part of 30 years; nothing even remotely close to professionally. But I've also fell a LOT more trees than the average home owner (that is obviously not saying all that much).

Anyway, I've recently found I have a problem. For nearly 25 years I've used an 026 Pro, almost exclusively. It was getting pretty tired, so I started looking at replacements...

In the last week, I've bought an MS 241, MS 261 and MS 500i. And I have my eye on an MS 400 too. I cannot explain why I'm finding myself with an irresistible need to buy these things! Truth be told, the 261 and 500 cover all bases I'll ever need, but I can't seem to help myself.

Current / planned saws:

I heat with wood on a pretty hungry outdoor wood burner; that's my primary motivation. I have been entertaining getting into easy / straight forward tree removal for hire; I'm retired from the Army, and having a day or two of work a week might not be such a bad thing- it would also presumably, help keep my firewood stacked high & deep.

So, I really don't even know where this 241 fits in my selection, but everything I've read on it about how well it handles, I is giving me trouble and I'm too stubborn to just rest. everything from falling small trees, to limbing and bucking. I'd also bet my father in law asks to borrow it a good bit.

Initial thoughts were, 16" .325 / 0.063, or 16" - 18" .375P / 0.050. Unfortunately, I don't believe a light weight bar at 18" is made in picco configuration.

Suggestions?
DP425

Current / planned saws:

So, I really don't even know where this 241 fits in my selection, but everything I've read on it about how well it handles, I couldn't resist. My gut intuition is, with a light bar, this will be my go-to saw when my back is giving me trouble and I'm too stubborn to just rest. In that event, I would be using this saw for everything from falling small trees, to limbing and bucking. I'd also bet my father in law asks to borrow it a good bit.

Suggestions?
DP425,
i too would like to acquire a 241. Just the powerhead. I’m blessed to have most all the pro saws from 201 thru 661. I’m donating all my homeowner and FB saws. But would like to add a 241. May I ask what the cost is to purchase from UK and how one goes about this process?
Thank you much!! HJ

I thought about buying two of them and keeping one in the sealed box.
Given the really limited numbers of these saws, being an import saw, and factory new in box... Yeah, 20-30 years could have someone salivating over it, ready to dump a month or two of pay on it.
Wait, is it being discontinued? I didn't know it was still available in the US.

Back