Ms 361 flywheel. Confused.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HolgerDankse

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about the fly wheel on my MS 361.

I’m not getting spark so I’ve tested the wiring harness and the ignition coil, and those seem like they are working just fine. The fly wheel is damaged I think. On my MS 362 c fly wheel, there are two magnets opposite each other,On my 361 it appears that one of the magnets is missing. I know that the ignitions on these two saws are significantly different, so I’m not sure if the fly wheel on my MS 361 should look roughly the same as the one on the MS 362c. In the parts diagram for the 361 it lists two different fly wheels and part numbers and I have no idea which one is correct. Here’s a picture of the flywheel I think is damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d791e87614b05344fbbb5ca9c546f46f.jpg

What is the "damage"?

In the first photo, no magnet in the space opposite the existing one, just a little nub. Im not sure that the 361 has 2 opposing magnets so I may not be showing damage. There is a portion of a fin missing, but that shouldn’t affect spark.

In the first photo, no magnet in the space opposite the existing one, just a little nub. Im not sure that the 361 has 2 opposing magnets so I may not be showing damage. There is a portion of a fin missing, but that shouldn’t affect spark.

The 361 only has 1 set of magnets I'm pretty sure. As for the no-spark issue, make sure your coil is gapped to 0.008 and make sure your plug wire isn't loose. I had a 361 drive me up the wall with that issue, sometimes the coil wire would be screwed in enough to work properly, other times it would back out far enough that it wouldn't spark.

The 361 only has 1 set of magnets I'm pretty sure. As for the no-spark issue, make sure your coil is gapped to 0.008 ….edit .

Thanks, I gapped it to .2 mm so it should be right. I’ll double check the plug wire. So far this thing is driving me nuts.

I’ve had an 1135 coil fail before. If you determine that the coil is the cause, look around for a used OEM coil.
It’s unlikely (but not impossible) that the flywheel is bad.

I have a good coil in there, so I’m just going to have to start over, and test it all with a cool head. Maybe I’ll crack it back open in December

The flywheel looks ok.

Back