MS 362-c idle chain spin -

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV Hiker

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I went to bring fresh fuel mix for our 4 Stihl chainsaws that volunteers use. I found the MS362-C tagged out of service but no reason noted. Figured it must be user error due to not understanding how M-Tronics work. It started and idled fine. But the chain was spinning at idle. Hum... the saw is to new to have a broken clutch pack spring...

Removing the sprocket the bearing was dry. The inside of the sprocket drum was packed with heated on sawdust/oil. This made no gap between the clutch shoes and inside of the drum. So the sprocket would spin the chain.

Cleaned the shoes, sprocket and lubed the bearing and ran it with no spin of the chain. Put it back in service and emailed the group asking who tagged it and was there any reason now to not put it in service.

It is the simple maintenance that is overlooked by users that cause the most problems and wear. We have users that just want to cut and don't know what to do to maintain a chainsaw. Ok I'm just venting... But if you have a similar experience with chain spinning at idle, check the clutch shoes and inside of sprocket drum before trying to adjust the carb thinking the "L" and "LA" is out of adjustment.

Cheers,

Back