Ms 660 clone build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badhandagain

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Who has the easiest ms660 clone videos to follow. I’ve been watching Mathew Olson’s YouTube videos. They look great, but I wanted to see if any of you guys followed another builder that may have been easier. This is my first build in an attempt to learn something about motors. I’m an idiot When it comes to motors

I plan to replace the following
Oem gaskets
piston pin bearing and piston pin clips
wrist pin bearing
circlips

Any other recommendations are welcome.

It will be used for a back up saw for my ms 070 clone. If you hate clone saws, I don’t care. With all due respect, Go tell someone else.

Have fun with the build :) it’s quite well known that parts are often missing or don’t work. Expect the worst, plan to need to replace missing or defective parts and ask lots of questions. Happy rebuilding :) The1chainsawguy has some videos.

Check over every part with a fine tooth comb as quality control is hit or miss, replace every bearing with OEM or known good quality. Same with wrist pin c-clips and seals. Run 32:1 and tune it on the rich side.

@weimedog
People keep harping the am crank bearings are trash
I've yet to see them fail in my husky clone saws.
With a lot of time on them
Or the dozens of zenoah clones I've worked on.
Is am bearing failures unique to the 660 clone saws?
I've only ran one of those built from farmertec.

@weimedog
People keep harping the am crank bearings are trash
I've yet to see them fail in my husky clone saws.
With a lot of time on them
Or the dozens of zenoah clones I've worked on.
Is am bearing failures unique to the 660 clone saws?
I've only ran one of those built from farmertec.
Cheap easy insurance to replace with known good quality.

This may interest some:

None of the 660's I've ever built had their farmertec original bearings or seals fail. Most from the 2015 batch are doing just fine. One had a failure this year from corrosion , case just ate itself. It lived on someone else's farm. Don't know the specifics of what it may have been exposed to. Had a famous top end take out a couple of cranks. Put them back together all Farmertec and they are still going strong. The rest I auctioned off at the county auction. And a couple found their way back from time to time for things like fuel lines and rubber parts. But for the most part the build I had developed mixing in a few tactical OEM parts have survived and been a success. Figure now 5--6 years on them should be telling on the longevity. But from my point of view, especially those that ended up in the Amish community, they beat the odds and expectations :)

Back