MS 880 cylinder scored and obsolete

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haroldbet

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a used 880, its an older model with the aluminum muffler. I pulled the muffler and found the piston scored. It runs good and has 150psi compression but wanted to check it over before I started using it. The Nikasil plating is chipped in four spots under the exhaust port and the piston is worn bad on the exhaust side. There didn't appear to be much transfer on the cylinder, I used a little purple scotch brite on the cylinder maybe 30 seconds worth. New OEM cylinder kits are unavailable. Was wondering if I smoothed the chips out and put a new piston in how long it would last. Can you put a new style cylinder with the bolt on muffler on and change mufflers? Is the crankcase the same? Thanks Harold

Attachments

• IMG_2742.jpg
    IMG_2742.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2741 (1).jpg
    IMG_2741 (1).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 8
Not sure but i think the newer bolt on muffler cylinders will fit. Hope someone with more knowledge
will chime in. You can also have your cylinder renikisiled by US chrome or other cylinder repair shops.
A new Stihl piston should still be available.

You can still get the OEM cylinders a 20 sec Google search brings up plenty if ya willing to pay.
The early ms880 cylinder is the same as 088 cylinder.
About the only thing different from 088 and the early ms880 is it has flippy caps.
Yeah I found them on eBay for $550 or $600 overseas. Can get the new style local for around $325. Would make more sense to convert it if it would work with just a muffler swap. That’s more what I was asking.

New cylinder is a new saw consider your bearings are good, you considered renewing all the rubber parts while your'e at it.
Oil hose, fuel hose, carb manifoil, crank seals and such? Rubber gets old, stiff and all that... tends to fracture and leak.

So it is really that expensive plus hard to source parts for a modern-ish big Stihl chainsaw? Dam glad I went the Husky route.
A 3120 cylinder is $500 if we’re talking apples to apples. It’s not the brand, it’s the size of the saw

Back