Ms170 killing me!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyager

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Long story short, was given an MS170( go me). Rebuilt the carb, changed spark plug and fuel filter, burned out exhaust and screen. Starts on choke and revs up if I slightly move the choke lever. Switch to fast idle and it dreams. Switch to normal run position and it won’t take the throttle and then dies. Tried loosening filial CAO to no avail. Fresh fuel on board too. What am I missing? I’ve adjusted the idle screw to factory setting, 2 turns out from fully closed at counter clockwise. Stumped!

I did the carb swap on mine and now it starts easy easy and runs great. I hate those single screw carbs and it was so hard to start. Ya do have to do a few mods so you can tune the saw with cover on but it’s night and day difference.

Did you go with the wt 215 carb? If so did you have to swap the top plates on the carb so the new one would push into the air filter base plate?

Have you worked on a 017? I don't think there is an impulse line. Low meter lever is a good idea though. To the OP I think you may be wrong about the single screw being just a low speed adjustment. On one I worked the screw gave more fuel to hi and low when turned counter-clock-wise. Mike

Have you worked on a 017? I don't think there is an impulse line. Low meter lever is a good idea though. To the OP I think you may be wrong about the single screw being just a low speed adjustment. On one I worked the screw gave more fuel to hi and low when turned counter-clock-wise. Mike
I have an ms180 but you're right, I don't know if it has a line ? But it does have a impulse port at the intake flange which could also be cracked. Just a suggestion for the op.

Strongly second the Walbro WT-215 mod. Along with a muffler mod, makes for a very usable wee saw for wandering about and slashing small limbs. Several tutorials out there if you search.

I thought the the single screw was for air flow at idle.
As for most things with me prob wrong.

I was going off the owners manual. Attached is the paragraph08F42A59-85A6-470A-B0BD-FC2DCB7C7FEF.png

Back