MS192t plays up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegularG

Reaction score
Hey y’all,
I’m pretty new to everything and might need some guidance. I purchased a used Stihl MS192T off eBay. When it runs, it runs great, but it seem like every other time it won’t start and flood.
I talked to a view people around me I did some stuff on my own based on their recommendations:

- replaced fuel filter
- replaced spark plug
- cleaned out spark arrester in muffler
- replaced carburetor (off brand)
none of these things fixed the issue.
I gave it to a Stihl dealer in the area and they only say the carburetor needs to be replaced. Now, the problem persisted before the swap and i have the feeling they are going off the fact that it’s a non genuine part in there. Im not saying that it can’t be a dodgy off brand part, but So far my experience with Stihl dealers here has been „so so“ to say the least and these literally told me that they’d actually rather not do the $200 repair because the saw has been tinkered with before…

Does anyone have similar experiences and would like to share some wisdom?

would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, I’ll test the carb on a mates saw to see if it’s just that and will probably get myself one from a more reputable source.
As far as I know the compression is fine but I wouldn’t know how to check for pressure leaks (hence the “I’m new to all this”).
I’ll have a look at the primer bulb. I do have the bits to replace that, so may as well, I guess.

I dont know how you can trouble shoot a saw with an aftermarket China carb unless you run the carb on another saw. You just cant be sure that carb is good .
Well, it’s easy: when one has no clue what they’re doing and goes off advice from people who have been in the industry for years without double checking the quality of the advice. ;-)
It occurred to me that veeeery cheap off brand parts may not work as intended….

Well, it’s easy: when one has no clue what they’re doing and goes off advice from people who have been in the industry for years without double checking the quality of the advice. ;-)
It occurred to me that veeeery cheap off brand parts may not work as intended….
Those Chineses carb are hit and miss.

Carb diaphragm stiff or impulse line is split just as it goes in lower housing from carb housing

Hey y’all,
I’m pretty new to everything and might need some guidance. I purchased a used Stihl MS192T off eBay. When it runs, it runs great, but it seem like every other time it won’t start and flood.
I talked to a view people around me I did some stuff on my own based on their recommendations:

- replaced fuel filter
- replaced spark plug
- cleaned out spark arrester in muffler
- replaced carburetor (off brand)
none of these things fixed the issue.
I gave it to a Stihl dealer in the area and they only say the carburetor needs to be replaced. Now, the problem persisted before the swap and i have the feeling they are going off the fact that it’s a non genuine part in there. Im not saying that it can’t be a dodgy off brand part, but So far my experience with Stihl dealers here has been „so so“ to say the least and these literally told me that they’d actually rather not do the $200 repair because the saw has been tinkered with before…

Does anyone have similar experiences and would like to share some wisdom?

would be greatly appreciated :)
If your starting sequence is correct then the carb is causing the flooding,what else could?

Have you checked compression and for vac / pressure leaks? Take a pic of the piston through the muffler too and upload it here.
How would I do the first? I’ll take the muffler off later and see if can get a proper shot.
Those Chineses carb are hit and miss.
That being said, the Stihl one I took out is also made in China 😅
Carb diaphragm stiff or impulse line is split just as it goes in lower housing from carb housing
- Replaced entire carb again for a „reputable“ off brand one (I.e. not off eBay…)
- replaced primer bulb for ***** and giggles

- Had a look at fuel and impulse line, they both seem intact, I could not detect cracks or leaks.

So, after all this above I managed to get the saw running again and initially it seemed to run ok. Idling good, started repeatedly and reliably.

i took it into a tree yesterday and after a very short time it would hardly be able to finish a cut without it turning off. I would be able to restart it but only if I pulled the throttle lever at the same time. After a while it would not start again at all.
Would this be bad carb adjustment on my end or still possibly another source?

I have had the same issues with my 192. I bought new about 6 years ago. The saw was hard to start from the day I got it home. Would flood, and take lots of pulls to start it. I finally gave up and let it sit for about 3 years.
Last spring I bought a cheap carb off of eBay for it. After getting it set, the saw starts within 3 pulls.
Most times if I stop the saw, I have to pull throttle in a little to restart a hot engine.
My 028, 260, and 361 ( Thanks Edwad) start easy, and run great.
The 192T is not a very good saw in my opinion. I have read about lots of starting issues with them.

Back