MS192TC Rebuild Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimberJake

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here but been reading threads on this site for a long time. I picked up a 'good used' MS192TC off eBay. Used to climb professionally for a couple years after college, my dad runs a tree care company so I grew up around it. Haven't done much but some tree work for friends occasionally in about 5 years. Received a saw that had been damaged in shipping (starter cover busted up). Tried to return it, as it didn't start right up as advertised, and ran like it had issues. Carb tune didn't help. Spark plug, fuel filter check didn't help. Long story short, I have the saw, got most of the cost refunded (I'm out about $130 now, oh well), and am looking to rebuild, or maybe sell for parts. It won't hold itself up if I hold it from the pullcord, won't idle, will rev if finessed/choked some, but smokes a lot. It has a scored piston, eroded metal where muffler attaches, see attached. I've never broken a cylinder / head from a crankcase on any engine, but have done lots of other mechanical repairs and am pretty confident in the shop. I tore it down most of the way, checked diaphragms in carb and they seemed flexible still, didn't see any debris or varnish. Fuel lines looked good, vent worked, intake boot was good, I didn't remove the engine or clutch, (I was thinking to do it by small impact wrench with spark plug in, which I've done on my ms440 and an echo cs-341). I followed these instructions and a youtube video to break it down and disassemble the handle, etc.:

1137 (MS192) Build Thread

Thing is, this tells you how to remove everything, but nothing on how to put a new cylinder/piston back together. I've searched and can't find much on installing a P&C kit on a 192TC. Things I'm wondering, what are the tips/tricks for reassembling? Anyone know of a good thread/guide for reassembly? Stihl OEM P&C kit only or are there good aftermarket (i.e. Stens, other, or cheap eBay?) Any special tools needed for rings, attaching piston to connecting rod, or those clips? Do people always replace bearings/seals? How do you get the thing back together without getting gasket material on everything, just very carefully?

What I think I'll need to rebuild this saw to working:

- Cylinder, piston kit (1137 020 1204)
- Gasket material - Elring Dirko?
- Crank shaft seals? #9639 003 1206 (says use 1205 if open crankcase, what do people use? Not sure I understand why the seal would be different)
- Bearings?
- Ring compressor?
- Any special tools for the pin clips or anything
- Special bearing grease needed or assembly lube, what do people use? Was thinking a bit of the Stihl synthetic 2cycle oil mix I use would make sense
- Will that muffler seal OK, should I dremel it smooth, or use a gasket? Re-use old bolts or get new?

- Starter cover, mine is busted.
- Carburetor kit (or a new carb), some of the screws were buggered on mine, tells me someone messed with it more than I'd like. Would hate to install new engine and burn up piston if carb is running leaner than it should.

Here are some pics. Would love advice if this needs / is worth rebuilding or if I should scrap it / anyone want it?

Thanks in advance!
Jake
s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (3).jpg unnamed (3).jpg unnamed.jpg IMG_1277 (Medium).JPG IMG_1279 (Medium).JPG IMG_1283 (Medium).JPG IMG_1286 (Medium).JPG IMG_1288 (Medium).JPG IMG_1294 (Medium).JPG

Back