Ms200T leaking chain oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logie07

Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding why there is always a poll of oil under my Ms200t. I super glued the original oil hose into the hole in the casing of the reservoir hoping that would solve the issue. However there still seems to be oil coming from somewhere. I have ordered a new oil hose from the pump to the oil reservoir and have sweetened the casing bolts hoping that it is not leaking at the gasket between the two casing halves. Can they leak at the oil pump? The oiler was set at max so could it be dispensing too much oil and its run off or back pressure which is contributing to the slight puddle of oil under the saw. It's frustrating and I'd like to get it sorted but its beating me :(

Attachments

• 20220314_191105.jpg
    20220314_191105.jpg
    980.8 KB · Views: 2
Check and replace your bar oil cap. I have replaced a couple of mine that had got a little spec or 2 of sawdust on them when I put it back on after refilling the tank. Neither has leaked since, and I thought I had cleaned everything off, but apparently I didn’t. I sure thought it was coming from somewhere else, but it wasn’t.

I'm having trouble finding why there is always a poll of oil under my Ms200t. I super glued the original oil hose into the hole in the casing of the reservoir hoping that would solve the issue. However there still seems to be oil coming from somewhere. I have ordered a new oil hose from the pump to the oil reservoir and have sweetened the casing bolts hoping that it is not leaking at the gasket between the two casing halves. Can they leak at the oil pump? The oiler was set at max so could it be dispensing too much oil and its run off or back pressure which is contributing to the slight puddle of oil under the saw. It's frustrating and I'd like to get it sorted but its beating me :(
Clean it all off real good and put ATF in the oil tank let it sit on a white paper towel and see where the leak is coming from. Or you could pressuer test the oil tank at the rubber hose ,just spray soapy water on the whole thing.Those oil caps always leak you know.

My money is on the screw that holds the plastic covers over the oil pump. It should be a short screw. If someone has EVER run a longer screw in there they’ve busted out the case behind it (inside the oil tank). Take that screw out and if oil comes out the hole you’ve found your leak.

Thanks guy's I'll investigate a bit further! The 3 screws holding the covers on appear to be the originals. So it doesn't look like its punctured the oil tank. I've turned the oiler setting well back will try again

My MS200 rear handle (bought new 2001) also leaks/seeps bar oil when stored/sitting normally. The oil appears to be coming from the "oiling area" at the rear of the bar.
My assumption has always been that the tank/cap has a one-way valve (lets air in but not out), and that the changes in barometric pressure (weather changes from high to low) pull oil from the tank/pump to the oiling channel on the bar and it runs off the back of the bar.
If I were you, I would consider pulling the bar&chain and clean/dry the oil pump output channel, and check if it seeps oil from there on a daily basis that includes some weather changes from clear skies to clouds/rain...
Interestingly, all the 011AVs and 012AV I have owned with sealed oil tanks also had "leaky" oil systems, all from the same area (rear of the bar).
The electric saws I have started using do not leak in the same way.
If other readers can help confirm/dispute my assumptions, that would be appreciated... :)

My MS200 rear handle (bought new 2001) also leaks when stored/sitting normally. The oil appears to be coming from the "oiling area" at the rear of the bar.
My assumption has always been that the tank/cap has a one-way valve (lets air in but not out), and that the changes in barometric pressure (weather changes from high to low) pull oil from the tank/pump to the oiling channel on the bar and it runs off the back of the bar.
If I were you, I would consider pulling the bar&chain and clean/dry the oil pump output channel, and check if it seeps oil from there on a daily basis that includes some weather changes from clear skies to clouds/rain...
Interestingly, all the 011AVs and 012AV I have owned with sealed oil tanks also had "leaky" oil systems, all from the same area (rear of the bar).
The electric saws I have started using do not leak in the same way.
If other readers can help confirm/dispute my assumptions, that would be appreciated... :)
Yes saws can leak oil out from where they are supposed to oil but it could still be a leak .

Back