MS250 leaking bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hipastore

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, appreciate the advice here. My 250 is always leaking bar oil.

I know it's common for chainsaws to leak but is this normal? No matter what way I store it, it leaks on the opposite end of the oil reservoir, just under the chain nuts.

Looks like it's dripping from just above the chain.

250 leaking.jpeg

If I let it sit for 3-4 weeks, I have a small puddle of oil directly under this location. The puddle is probably 1-2 oz worth, so around 1/8 of the tank.

This normal? If not how can I fix this? Thanks all.

It can leak from a few spots on the saw, one place to check is a little plastic fitting that goes into the oil tank / pump on the underside of the saw. Mine had a leak here a couple of years ago. I replaced the o-ring and used a gasket sealant on the other end and plugged it in. Still good today. It's in Illustration F Oil Pump on the IPL. Stihl part # 1123 640 2901.

stihl11236402901.jpg

It's also normal for bar oil to run out of the channel in the bar and any that has accumulated from running will drain out around the case and leave a puddle. It can also be from the pressure difference in the tank from using it outdoors and bringing it inside for storage, or going through hot and cold cycles. The tank is designed to let air in amd not out, so if the pressure in the tank is greater then ambient, it will push oil out. Easiest solution is to pop open the cap to let the tank equalize where it's being stored. If it's still leaking then I'd start to look at a possible issue.

Does it leak until the tank is dry or just for a while after you get done using it.
is the case side of bar level around the studs? Thinking the studs have been over torqued and buggared the case.
It just leaks when there is fuel in the tank. I drained out the fuel in the tank, and left it for a night, the spot was smaller than it used to be.

It can leak from a few spots on the saw, one place to check is a little plastic fitting that goes into the oil tank / pump on the underside of the saw. Mine had a leak here a couple of years ago. I replaced the o-ring and used a gasket sealant on the other end and plugged it in. Still good today. It's in Illustration F Oil Pump on the IPL. Stihl part # 1123 640 2901.

View attachment 1027529
Thanks, I will try to replace the O-ring this weekend.

It's also normal for bar oil to run out of the channel in the bar and any that has accumulated from running will drain out around the case and leave a puddle. It can also be from the pressure difference in the tank from using it outdoors and bringing it inside for storage, or going through hot and cold cycles. The tank is designed to let air in and not out, so if the pressure in the tank is greater then ambient, it will push oil out. Easiest solution is to pop open the cap to let the tank equalize where it's being stored. If it's still leaking then I'd start to look at a possible issue.
This is the right path to follow. A pressurized tank will "push" contents. The duck bill vent might be plugged. Removing the cap at days end, would eliminate a pressurized system.

Weeping oil from the set-up is normal...it will run back and drip for a day or two. I have chains hanging up on a nail, for a month, that still leave a stain directly below them....

IF your leak is constant, and never-ending, you have a cracked oil system somewhere.....

It's leaking oil, when there is fuel in the tank..... there isn't supposed to be fuel in the oil tank, and the fuel and oil tanks arnt even connected to each other. So your statement makes no sense.
YES. I know there is no a relationship between oil leaking and fuel tank. Thanks.

Probably has aftermarket parts fitted.
Is this your personal saw- or a copy and paste from a Hipa client asking a question and the members here that will tolerate it provide the answers that can be copy and pasted back?
It is a used chainsaw for Hipa commercial use. But I found it was leaking oil after using it several times.

I don’t know much perhaps but it kind of chaps me when off shore interests just use the intelligence and collective knowledge here to sell their goods and services.

Just like a kid who buys the test answers and scores well but still doesn’t know squat😬

If the Chinese would not steal our intellectual properties and quit just copying ours and others engineering just to use their 80 cents an hour labor to produce the product (cheap and without the QC) then I would not have such a problem with it.

Back