MS261 C-M VS 550 XP Mk II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not everybody thinks they are nice looking..I think they are ugly. Way too many nooks and crannys. And the grey looks like **** very soon.

The original 550 felt really "floppy" with very soft AV springs. I don't know about the mkII

That is a nice looking saw. Looks way better than a 261. The only reason I would ever buy the 261 over the 550 is you can get the adjustable carb version 261. Not saying anything wrong with mtronic/autotune. There are just no servicing dealers around here for the software, should something should ever go wrong. I have a version 1 545 and I like it alot, just don't know what I would do if it ever needed updating. Have to drive an hour or two I guess.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
The 550 is a sharp looking saw. There really is no need to hook a saw up, I don't believe Stihl puts out any firmware for their equipment, maybe that has changed? I'm sure the 550 MK-II is a great fine saw, love how my 550 runs after I got it all sorted out.

Not everybody thinks they are nice looking..I think they are ugly. Way too many nooks and crannys. And the grey looks like **** very soon.

The original 550 felt really "floppy" with very soft AV springs. I don't know about the mkII
The AV on the 261 is even worse, but that doesn't bother the me, it's a 50cc saw.

Pictures
It all adds up. There is also a difference carrying weight on your hips and holding it away from your core with your arms. One reason I'm liking longer bars for the reach, this keeps weight near your core, plus no bending over.

When I was still doing a lot of hiking I counted every ounce, I knew what I could carry and for how many miles and at what altitude.

Digging through the old pictures of looks like the 261 is 10lbs 14 ounces dry.
Hiking, now we are talking about boot weight. So my 550mkII fueled, oiled, bar and chain may be lighter. :popcorn2: Are Stihl clutch covers light plastic?

I didn't notice that in my brief, not back-to-back runs of those two saws. I didn't REALLY like either one of them (like enough to consider buying one as a replacement for what I already have), but they definitely felt decent.

I didn't notice that in my brief, not back-to-back runs of those two saws. I didn't REALLY like either one of them (like enough to consider buying one as a replacement for what I already have), but they definitely felt decent.
I only buy my saw on what color they are. Talk about how a saw looks. All Stihls that are used, look bad soon enough.

I didn't notice that in my brief, not back-to-back runs of those two saws. I didn't REALLY like either one of them, but they definitely felt decent.
Yeah Stihl spring AV is smooth, but Husqvarna spring AV has a firmer feel, especially the larger saws, not a big difference between the 50's those are all soft.

To the OP, did you like the way the 261 handled? If so, buy it and don't look back. Weight doesn't matter to me as much as balance and handling.

I have to agree with you on the nooks and crannies. The clutch cover on my 545 is ridiculous to clean.

I agree with the Stihl camp here, you're already used to using Stihl saws and the startup procedure and you have a choice of carb or m-tronic, both of which are great robust saws and looks good too with 261 version 2 (if that really matters that much). You are also getting the better stihl bars and chains. I also have a 346xp old and new edition, 550xp, 550xp Mkii (too heavy for 50cc class but still fun) and i don't like the start and restart protocol and the plastic lever on these model Husqvarna's vs Stihl (old 372xp starup with separate choke i even like better than these new Huskys)

I agree with the Stihl camp here, you're already used to using Stihl saws and the startup procedure and you have a choice of carb or m-tronic, both of which are great robust saws and looks good too with 261 version 2 (if that really matters that much). You are also getting the better stihl bars and chains. I also have a 346xp old and new edition, 550xp, 550xp Mkii (too heavy for 50cc class but still fun) and i don't like the start and restart protocol and the plastic lever on these model Husqvarna's vs Stihl (old 372xp starup with separate choke i even like better than these new Huskys)
I agree on the plastic levers. I prefer a separate choke as well. I do like the all in one lever on my Dolmar 6100, it is metal and works flawlessly.

I enjoy nit-pickers. :crazy2:. White on a saw is just ridiculous! Some saws are just way over priced, it's cutting logs not brain surgery. They all serve intended purpose with a sharp chain in a given cc class. Buy what you like and run it. :popcorn2:

Stihl restart procedure: From my 1970s 041 Farmboss to todays 462cm: Pull starter rope once

Husqvarna restart procedure: New 550xp and 572xp: Try to pull starter rope 5-6 times, doesn't start. Lesson Learned
Read manual: Pull out choke and press up, then flip back down, pull 3-6 times Sometimes starts. Repeat if doesnt, leaving choke in up position to burp, then flip back down. pull 5-6 more times, wish you just restart by pulling rope like in the 1970s

Stihl restart procedure: From my 1970s 041 Farmboss to todays 462cm: Pull starter rope once

Husqvarna restart procedure: New 550xp and 572xp: Try to pull starter rope 5-6 times, doesn't start. Lesson Learned
Read manual: Pull out choke and press up, then flip back down, pull 3-6 times Sometimes starts. Repeat if doesnt, leaving choke in up position to burp, then flip back down. pull 5-6 more times, wish you just restart by pulling rope like in the 1970s
BS right there!

I've never used a Mk II 550, but my cutting buddy has a first gen. I'm a Stihl guy, and his 550 has been a great saw. It is an early model, that is supposed to be plagued with issues. He has cut hundreds of face cords with his, and hasn't had a single issue. I hear a lot about hot restart issues, but I've never witnessed them. When I've run his saw out of fuel, I use the purge bulb, and it usually fires up in 1-2 pulls. I run my MS261cm v2, side by side with his 550. Both excellent saws.

I do feel that the Stihl Mtronic controls are a bit easier to use than Husky Autotune, especially with gloves on, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. I also prefer the chain tensioner on the 261, over the 550, but not a deal breaker. Don't tell SawTroll, but I think his 550 "handles" better than my 261.

Latest posts

Back