Ms261 - Few more questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amin_1992

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, got my MS261 and it's awesome. And no Mtronic! Great.

Curious though, how do you guys deal with it not sitting flat and rocking when sitting on the work bench? I'm used to my old MS250 that sat flat and was pretty back-heavy, so it just sat there while working. The MS261 seems to be heaviest in the middle - right around where the bar meets the body - so it teeters back and forth. I have to hold the handle down on the bench when working... Normal? Any remedies for when I'm doing maintenance?

Also, any dealers out there able to look up the serial for me? I'm just curious how long this one was sitting on the shelf after manufacture. It's 533335787

Thanks guys

Curious though, how do you guys deal with it not sitting flat and rocking when sitting on the work bench? I'm used to my old MS250 that sat flat and was pretty back-heavy, so it just sat there while working. The MS261 seems to be heaviest in the middle - right around where the bar meets the body - so it teeters back and forth. I have to hold the handle down on the bench when working... Normal? Any remedies for when I'm doing maintenance?

Also, any dealers out there able to look up the serial for me? I'm just curious how long this one was sitting on the shelf after manufacture. It's 533335787

Thanks guys
Sounds like it's bar heavy. No real ideas other than a block under the bar end to hold it flat.

That may be what I end up doing. I just saw a random youtube video for the 261 with an 18" bar and when the dealer set it down, it teetered like a see-saw too haha, so maybe it's more common on these saws?

Thanks guys
LW bar if a 20”, or just an 18” bar

Any of you guys know what these 2 holes are for on the cover?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230301-075410.png
    Screenshot_20230301-075410.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Also trying to figure something out...

I have some old 18" chains from my MS250. They are 26RM368, with 68 chain links.

Online it says on an MS261 with an 18" bar, the chain should be a 26RM374 - same pitch and gauge but different amount of links.

Why is that? Are the bars slightly different in length and require a few more additional links?

Also trying to figure something out...

I have some old 18" chains from my MS250. They are 26RM368, with 68 chain links.

Online it says on an MS261 with an 18" bar, the chain should be a 26RM374 - same pitch and gauge but different amount of links.

Why is that? Are the bars slightly different in length and require a few more additional links?

The bar dictates the number of drive links. See my post here:

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/help-needed-to-understand-chains.365198/#post-7915326

Thank you @Hundred Acre Wood for the answers! Learning something new everyday.

I read your post, but I guess I'm still a bit confused. Why does the number of drivelinks matter? If I have 68 or 72 drivelinks, but the chains are the same length/circumference, wouldnt either run on the same 18" bar? Or no? And if not, why not?

Thank you @Hundred Acre Wood for the answers! Learning something new everyday.

I read your post, but I guess I'm still a bit confused. Why does the number of drivelinks matter? If I have 68 or 72 drivelinks, but the chains are the same length/circumference, wouldnt either run on the same 18" bar? Or no? And if not, why not?

Brief chain terminology primer:

Chain attributes.jpeg

Ask yourself, if the chains are both the same pitch (e.g. 3/8"), and one has 68 drive links and the other has 72 drive links, then are they actually the same length?

No. They're different lengths.

Re-read what I wrote in that post. "Different manufacturers (unfortunately) use different DL count for similar length bars, caused largely by differences in bar shape." The key word there might be similar. Actual bar lengths aren't precise or equal from any manufacturer despite what measurement they're named. For example, Stihl's 25" bar is really closer to 24" in actual length.

I'm making up this example because I'm not going to look it up, but a 20" bar from Oregon might use 68 drive links, and a 20" bar from Stihl might use 72 drive links because of "differences in bar shape" as I said.

The stamping on the bar (or specification if there's no markings) is what matters. "The bar dictates the number of drive links (DL) it needs. Period."

Brief chain terminology primer:

View attachment 1062097

Ask yourself, if the chains are both the same pitch (e.g. 3/8"), and one has 68 drive links and the other has 72 drive links, then are they actually the same length?

No. They're different lengths.

Re-read what I wrote in that post. "Different manufacturers (unfortunately) use different DL count for similar length bars, caused largely by differences in bar shape." The key word there might be similar. Actual bar lengths aren't precise or equal from any manufacturer despite what measurement they're named. For example, Stihl's 25" bar is really closer to 24" in actual length.

I'm making up this example because I'm not going to look it up, but a 20" bar from Oregon might use 68 drive links, and a 20" bar from Stihl might use 72 drive links because of "differences in bar shape" as I said.

The stamping on the bar (or specification if there's no markings) is what matters. "The bar dictates the number of drive links (DL) it needs. Period."
Ah I think I understand now. In my head I was thinking that chain links could vary in length, and therefore 68 vs 74 could be the same length. Sounds like they dont, and both are technically for an 18" bar but are in fact different lengths. Thanks for explaining to me!

Now I've got 2-3 MS250 chains that I cant use haha! Sold the old saw. Anyone here want them? I could send for free if you cover shipping.

Ah I think I understand now. In my head I was thinking that chain links could vary in length, and therefore 68 vs 74 could be the same length. Sounds like they dont, and both are technically for an 18" bar but are in fact different lengths. Thanks for explaining to me!

Now I've got 2-3 MS250 chains that I cant use haha! Sold the old saw. Anyone here want them? I could send for free if you cover shipping.
PM Sent...

If the chains are still good, ie. worth it, you could have your dealer add more links. Maybe even sharpen them up while there.

Latest posts

Back