MS261 or MS261 C-M for both low and high altitude use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK25

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am planning on buying a saw that will get used both at sea level and at 7-8,000 ft. Anyone have experience with the Stihl MS261 and MS261 C-M and frequent changes in elevation?

I'm assuming be cs you mean ms261/261cm? If so I'd go mtronic, simply to avoid having to frequently change tune in the carb. Great saw either way. I would expect the saw not to have quite the power at altitude.

I'm assuming be cs you mean ms261/261cm? If so I'd go mtronic, simply to avoid having to frequently change tune in the carb. Great saw either way. I would expect the saw not to have quite the power at altitude.
Oops, yes, sorry. I meant MS. I am talking about Stihl. Echo saw naming convention intruded on my thoughts. (Doesn't look like I am able to edit the thread title.)

Thank you.

I am used to changing jets and adjusting idle on a 2-stroke dirt bike at high and low elevation, but M-Tronic, if it adapts well, could save some tuning time. Currently only have a smaller Echo, which is adjustable with tool from Amazon.

The jets are adjustable on the normal carb, I just think it will be easier and less of a hassle to go mtronic in your situation. The saw will tune itself as it runs. No messing around just cutting wood. Filter gets a little dirty? No problem, bit heavy handed on oil? No problem. Forgot your carb screwdriver? No problem. I'm a fan. I have plenty of normal carb saws and what not, have no issues tuning them, but it's just a tweak here and there for seasonal temp changes. Having to tune for different altitude would get old fast, If I was back and forth alot.

The jets are adjustable on the normal carb, I just think it will be easier and less of a hassle to go mtronic in your situation. The saw will tune itself as it runs. No messing around just cutting wood. Filter gets a little dirty? No problem, bit heavy handed on oil? No problem. Forgot your carb screwdriver? No problem. I'm a fan. I have plenty of normal carb saws and what not, have no issues tuning them, but it's just a tweak here and there for seasonal temp changes. Having to tune for different altitude would get old fast, If I was back and forth alot.
Thanks Sean. Your experience with the M-Tronic is encouraging. Sounds like I should wait for the M-Tronic saw. Our local saw shop, which seems like it has its act together, was unsure which saw to recommend. We are at sea level here and they said they don't have any experience with how the two saws run at altitude. Interestingly, they just received a shipment from Stihl, which included a bunch of the regular 261s (all but one of which had been paid for in advance) and none of the 261 C-M. I asked why and he said that most people come in asking for the non M-Tronic saws. Not sure if that is fear of technology, or bad experiences with earlier iterations of M-Tronic?

Abner

Once you are familiar with your saw, turning the screws to tune takes about 40 seconds. Really.

people want non-moronic saws so they can control the tune.

Once you are familiar with your saw, turning the screws to tune takes about 40 seconds. Really.

people want non-moronic saws so they can control the tune.
Holeycow, it sounds like you like the non M-Tronic saws better. Do the M-Tronic ones get it wrong? Too rich/too lean? I am especially interested in how the saws run at altitude. A hot day at altitude needs pretty lean jetting. I am not opposed to tuning, especially if its quick. But if the newer technology works, it would mean one less thing to think about.

The new technology works. They are programmed to be zingy. I prefer less zing more braap.

tuning a familiar saw just becomes second nature, so it doesn't even register on the inconvenient scale... most of the time.

some guys really like their computer controlled saws. I own none. I have run a couple. I doubt I will ever have one.

The new technology works. They are programmed to be zingy. I prefer less zing more braap.

tuning a familiar saw just becomes second nature, so it doesn't even register on the inconvenient scale... most of the time.

some guys really like their computer controlled saws. I own none. I have run a couple. I doubt I will ever have one.
I assume that the European saw makers have introduced electronically controlled carbs to meet EU emissions regulations. And for the same reason, they have an interest in limiting how much the user can adjust the tune. Perhaps the M-Tronic system works well in a lot of cases, but doesn't allow much user input? I wonder how it responds to changes in altitude. If it makes most people happy, I think I'd probably be OK with it. But if guys are cursing the way it runs up in the mountains, and can't adjust it, then maybe a conventional carb would be a better bet?

I assume that the European saw makers have introduced electronically controlled carbs to meet EU emissions regulations. And for the same reason, they have an interest in limiting how much the user can adjust the tune. Perhaps the M-Tronic system works well in a lot of cases, but doesn't allow much user input? I wonder how it responds to changes in altitude. If it makes most people happy, I think I'd probably be OK with it. But if guys are cursing the way it runs up in the mountains, and can't adjust it, then maybe a conventional carb would be a better bet?

Who are those guys? I haven't seen this critic.

I'm at 3000 to 5000 feet and I haven't a complaint. What mountains, and how high are those guys that are cursing?

Who are those guys? I haven't seen this critic.

I'm at 3000 to 5000 feet and I haven't a complaint. What mountains, and how high are those guys that are cursing?
The phrasing is speculative - if there are guys cutting at altitude who are cursing M-Tronic saws, I am interested to hear about it. I am also interested to hear about people who are using the saws successfully. My local shop is selling the two versions of the 261 at only a $10 price difference. I want to chose the saw that will work best for me when I take it back and forth from sea level to elevation. From your logo/avatar, I take it you have a 461? Did that come in an M-Tronic version, or is your M-Tronic saw a different model?

To me it would be a no Brainer to go mtronic. I don't see the elevation swing you do though. Even at our highest were around 3000 feet. To date I've had no issues and don't know of anyone personally that has had issues out side of the fuel filter problems, which have been remedied. Either saw will be a great runner. It (to me) comes down to how often you want to tune a saw. Don't personally care how long it takes, it's one more thing to have to do before starting it and cutting wood. After all were not driving around in our 1950 model , why do we reject modern electronics on our saws?

The phrasing is speculative - if there are guys cutting at altitude who are cursing M-Tronic saws, I am interested to hear about it. I am also interested to hear about people who are using the saws successfully. My local shop is selling the two versions of the 261 at only a $10 price difference. I want to chose the saw that will work best for me when I take it back and forth from sea level to elevation. From your logo/avatar, I take it you have a 461? Did that come in an M-Tronic version, or is your M-Tronic saw a different model?

Sounds like you have already made up your mind, and are looking for high elevation cutters who are cursing the M-Tronics to justify saving a few dollars. Good Luck.

To me it would be a no Brainer to go mtronic. I don't see the elevation swing you do though. Even at our highest were around 3000 feet. To date I've had no issues and don't know of anyone personally that has had issues out side of the fuel filter problems, which have been remedied. Either saw will be a great runner. It (to me) comes down to how often you want to tune a saw. Don't personally care how long it takes, it's one more thing to have to do before starting it and cutting wood. After all were not driving around in our 1950 model , why do we reject modern electronics on our saws?
Thanks for the insight.
I can appreciate that some people might be in the habit of tuning their carbs, and even enjoy the process, but I don't have any history with that. Absent stories of people running into trouble with M-Tronics at higher elevations, I think I will get the 261 C-M.

I use mtronics from 5000 to 9000 feet elevation. No issues for me.

Remember to open the fuel cap arriving at elevation to equalize pressure. Let it warm up and let it adjust to new elevation and idle a bit after cutting before turning saw off.
That is great, thank you. Just what I was looking for. And thanks for the operating tips. I will call the saw shop and get on the list for the 261 C-M.

A buddy here, who is not super experienced with chainsaws, but does cut a bit at altitude, just told me I should get a short bar, like maybe 16" for the 261. Is that a typical thing people do at altitude? I was thinking 18", but could probably cut everything I need to cut with 16".

We run Stihls, two 261 cm, 026 and a 290 all with 20 inch bars. Of course we have pine. Short bar is not a altitude thing... even though increasing altitude reduces proformance where as a shorter bar would have less teeth in a full sized wood so slightly less drag. You won't notice it as you would looking at it on paper specifications. I'm good with 20 inch bars on these saws. 20 inch bar gives you options . Match saw, bar and chain for the task at hand.

Allow 5 or so tanks of fuel to notice the new saw proformance better.

We run Stihls, two 261 cm, 026 and a 290 all with 20 inch bars. Of course we have pine. Short bar is not a altitude thing... even though increasing altitude reduces proformance where as a shorter bar would have less teeth in a full sized wood so slightly less drag. You won't notice it as you would looking at it on paper specifications. I'm good with 20 inch bars on these saws. 20 inch bar gives you options . Match saw, bar and chain for the task at hand.

Allow 5 or so tanks of fuel to notice the new saw proformance better.
Thanks for putting that in perspective. I'll just run the bar for the job. And also, thanks for the tip on five tanks.

Latest posts

Back