MS261c Control Unit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HANCYM

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Could someone please tell me the difference between these three M-Tronic control units. I've been told that the second in the list below is the one for my saw (which currently has a dead one) but I've also read on other forums that some of the control units have have different versions of firmware, I assume for the better as I cant see that Stihl would work backwards. However I also assume that when put into the system by my dealer that it would spit out the "correct" one for my saw which I am assuming after many years of engineering and being very cynical would not necessarily mean the "best" one. Given that if the firmware has been updated on some of the control units the later saws will be running later firmware on fundamentally identical piston, cylinder and crank.

Thanks in advance!

Interestingly, I've now just put an MS362 Control Unit on my MS261 and it runs a treat. Does anyone have knowledge of the fuel map/ignition timings differences programmed into the two controllers, that of the MS 362 and the MS261?

Latest posts

Back