Ms261cm fuel filter bubbling when hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husqORbust

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ms261cm fires up and runs great cold. Runs in wood without issue for about 8-10 cuts and then dies. Will fire, and then dies immediately upon touching throttle.

I pulled the gas cap and noticed the fuel bubbling in there from the filter.

After around 5 minutes or so the bubbling stopped and it flashed right up and ran great again for around 8 cuts or so then I let it sit idle(30 seconds or so. Didnt take long to act up) and it died. Fuel filter bubbling again.

I was cutting cookies through dry 10" rounds. This saw had no issues keeping the revs up. With next to no idle time between cuts. Fuel tank half full. Around 90f today.

I wonder if I was running it a bit hard and stringing it out through easy wood without cooldown and started boiling the fuel or if there is an issue with the saw?

Heres a video of the fuel situation.

We go through this every year, it is the winter gas with butane in it boiling, get some good non ethanol fuel and keep the can and saw out of the sun.
Also won't hurt to let it cool down at idle before shutting it off. Definitely vapor lock. Make sure that the saw is clean to maximize airflow.

Fuel was 94 octane no ethanol. 40:1 with stihl oil. Wasnt that old but if I recall correctly it was purchased in the winter ish time.

I was running a ms250 as well. Wasnt running as highly strung and would 4 stroke in the wood. Fuel from the same jug. No issues.

I'll get "summer" grade fuel. I didnt realize there was a difference. Thought that was more a diesel thing.

I'll take a look at the tank vent also.

Thanks for the replys.

Fuel was 94 octane no ethanol. 40:1 with stihl oil. Wasnt that old but if I recall correctly it was purchased in the winter ish time.

I was running a ms250 as well. Wasnt running as highly strung and would 4 stroke in the wood. Fuel from the same jug. No issues.

I'll get "summer" grade fuel. I didnt realize there was a difference. Thought that was more a diesel thing.

I'll take a look at the tank vent also.

Thanks for the replys.
Back from the dead. Did you solve this one with a tank vent or just new fuel?

Latest posts

Back