Ms290 won't run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banshman

Reaction score
So the saw was running fine. It ran out of gas so I filled it. When it started it barely ran. At full throttle the chain was just turning then stalled and hasn't started since. I'm a very mechanical person but this one has me stumped. I have rebuilt the motor and carb a couple years ago. 140+ compression, got spark, plug is dry, took carb apart and all clean, I tried starting fluid in carb and cylinder...nothing. any ideas? I'm ready to bring to dealer at this point. Please help

Sounds like something in the fuel system to me. Don't use starting fluid, no lube in it and it could kill your engine. You can start with checking impulse hose, fuel line, then move on to the carburetor. I keep a small squirt bottle of fuel mix to squirt into spark plug hole rather than starting fluid. You might also check your flywheel to make sure it didn't come loose and shear the key..

You're flooded. Has to be, even though your plug is dry. Compressed air out everything, drain the tank, and start pulling. I went through this with a neighbors saw. 40, 50 pulls and it finally coughed.

Try a new plug and drip some mixed fuel down the carb. Also, the impulse hose on these chassis saws tend to tear at the bend points and cause holes to form. This prevents impulse from crankcase to reach the fuel pump circuit of the carb and pump fuel from tank. Also this will cause a lean condition and burn up the piston and cylinder if let go too long.

May be a good idea to pull the muffler off and check the piston for scoring.....YMMV

Latest posts

Back