MS340 upgrade to 360 - worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgdm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I cant seem to edit the title but for clarity it should read convert to a 360 rather than upgrade

good morning. as the subject implied I have an ms340. I bought it second hand several years ago, it is a handy saw that I use frequently and it is also my largest saw, my others being a couple of 260's (should sell one) and a 290 that I bought new and haven't used in years since I bought the pro model saws second hand. My 340 has always had weak compression (I should get a compression tester) it does poorly on the hanign by the starter cord test and will only cut if if hits the log at high RPMs, otherwise it bogs. I run a 20 inch bar on it. I have done a bit of reading online and I am intrigued by the thought of converting it to a 360. are there any downsides to this conversion? presumably it would use more fuel, produce more power and weigh a bit more. I believe I could keep my same carb and everything, just would need to shave a bit off the top cover to make it fit.

My second related question is whether an aftermarket cylinder and piston is worhwhile, I can't imagine I would be keen on paying OEM prices. the other option would be to buy a smashed up 360 if I could find one, unlikely to find a used saw cheap with a good cylinder and piston.

Third question, from the youtube videos, this looks like a pretty simple task for a halfway handy and very determined person to tackle. but I am no mechanic, any flags for this as a DIY project

and finally, cylinder kits I see online often do not have a gasket, is a new gasket necessary (seems like it would be a good idea)

Thanks for your thoughts

David

good morning. as the subject implied I have an ms340. I bought it second hand several years ago, it is a handy saw that I use frequently and it is also my largest saw, my others being a couple of 260's (should sell one) and a 290 that I bought new and haven't used in years since I bought the pro model saws second hand. My 340 has always had weak compression (I should get a compression tester) it does poorly on the hanign by the starter cord test and will only cut if if hits the log at high RPMs, otherwise it bogs. I run a 20 inch bar on it. I have done a bit of reading online and I am intrigued by the thought of making it a 360. are there any downsides to this conversion? presumably it would use more fuel, produce more power and weigh a bit more. I believe I could keep my same carb and everything, just would need to shave a bit off the top cover to make it fit.

My second related question is whether an aftermarket cylinder and piston is worhwhile, I can't imagine I would be keen on paying OEM prices. the other option would be to buy a smashed up 360 if I could find one, unlikely to find a used saw cheap with a good cylinder and piston.

Third question, from the youtube videos, this looks like a pretty simple task for a halfway handy and very determined person to tackle. but I am no mechanic, any flags for this as a DIY project

and finally, cylinder kits I see online often do not have a gasket, is a new gasket necessary (seems like it would be a good idea)

Thanks fo ryour thoughts

David
I thought of yet another question, would it be easier/better to just buy a used 360 if a decent quality one could be found and sell the 340? I would then have a 360 with OEM parts (but an unknown history).

I had a 340 that ran better than a friends 360 better compression too , I don't think there is much of a difference If both Top ends are genuine the 360 is slightly bigger .
The 340 is a pretty strong saw if it's running correctly just might have a worn out top end A factory fresh 360 top and would definitely wane it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back