MS361 Bar and Chain Question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did some chainsaw milling for a several years with a 36" Granberg. Started with a 360 pro which was a total joke. Traded it for a 064 and it was barely adequate for maybe up to 20 inches or so. Traded it for an 084 and that was just ok for up to maybe 30 inches but even with the 084 you had to let it cool frequently and use an extra oiler. All of my milling was in pine or cedar no hardwoods. Milling is super hard on your saws if your planning on anything more than a slab or two at a time.

I did some chainsaw milling for a several years with a 36" Granberg. Started with a 360 pro which was a total joke. Traded it for a 064 and it was barely adequate for maybe up to 20 inches or so. Traded it for an 084 and that was just ok for up to maybe 30 inches but even with the 084 you had to let it cool frequently and use an extra oiler. All of my milling was in pine or cedar no hardwoods. Milling is super hard on your saws if your planning on anything more than a slab or two at a time.
That doesn't sound right, an 064 and 084 should be good for much wider cuts in softwood, unless you're talking about running them in a production setup.

@Jazzbery , thank for sharing your experience. That is really helpful. I am making 8" x 8" posts, not cutting large slabs, so selecting up to 12" diameter logs. And then I will be cutting slabs off the sides, not straight through the middle, so the saw will be in a little less than 12 if vertical, maybe up to 15" to 18" of blade in wood on a proper angle. just a guess on my part. I am currently looking at an 066 magnum for the milling work. If I need to get a saw bigger than that, I probably won't bother.

Thanks for the added confidence running a 25" bar.

In terms of milling, is it that the grain of the wood is at a different orientation than when cross-cutting, or the amount of the bar/chain engaged in cutting, or the length of time cutting with no break for the saw, or all of the above? I was thinking that if I have small diameter (12" or so) logs and I am only cutting slabs off the sides to make 8" x 8" posts, that I wouldn't have all that much bar/chain in the wood, but I would obviously be running it for a longer period of time, like the time it takes to cut 8 feet versus the time it takes to cut 18" for example when cross-cutting.
You may just want to “freehand” the posts. I use a 50cc saw on red oak and it’s great. I’m only using the bottom tip of the bar and letting the saw direct the cut and speed. I’m sure a “milling lumber without a mill” or “freehand chainsaw lumber making” will yield adequate results in a search

That doesn't sound right, an 064 and 084 should be good for much wider cuts in softwood, unless you're talking about running them in a production setup.
For an occasional slab I would agree. Cut 5 12 footers 20" wide at a time and its very hard on an 064 and will require some cooldowns. OP says 8" with a 66 and he should be fine. 8" has a literal ton less drag than a 20". Never tried it but I think a 44 would probably do 8" just fine. Running an 084 in 30" is very hard on the saw and will require some rest periods. I know I have done many.

Back