MS362 Runs great! Dies at idle.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that looks OK are you able to vac and pressure test it while apart ? Now would be the time. Otherwise I really think its the carb but sometimes there can be 2 problems not just one so better to check. Order a carb though.
I dont have the intake side items to block off the air. got any tips for DIY intake seal items, or a good generic one? i only have stihls.

or if the petrol tank side is separated, use a circle of rubber over the intake, then a block of wood then use a sash clamp to clamp it all to the cylinder. Apply pressure vacuum to the impulse nozzle.

This way you can really isolate and test the cylinder.

SOOO many "It could be's". Time for real diagnosis. The aim is to verify motor vacuum and pressure tightness and interior condition FIRST. A carburetor just delivers the fuel. Vac and pressure leaks add extra air the carburetor cannot compensate for. This is the same for fuel injection.
In your picture, are there still machine marks going around the piston?

Sound lean to me. If the carb doesn't do it which is fairly cheap then pull the jug and do a piston ring while you are in there doing the seals. A seal is usually more erratic. Wiggle your clutch and flywheel up and down to check bearings. Take the time NOW before a chunk of crud takes out your cylinder.

Hey All!

I've been trying to avoid bothering everyone with my problems, but I'm stuck.

MS362 - Starts and runs normally, but won't idle. 4 pulls on choke, switch to half, runs on half, pull the trigger and it spools up and runs wide open with no problem. I don't have a leak testing rig, so I have not eliminated an air leak- but my WOT performance is normal.

Here's what I know:
A spark plug is new and is dry and chocolate brown
The ignition module is tight, and a business card from the flywheel magnet
Clutch springs are intact
Fuel lines, vent, and filter are new
The exhaust is clear, with no rust or carbon.
No tears in the intake boot
The carburetor is ultrasonic clean and blown out
Fresh fuel@50:1
Carb screws set to stock

Please Advise!
check metering arm this is the problem i had with mine kinda i had to set the arm low and then the carb must of cleaned itself out a bit and i set it back to stock height. just tinkering back and forth with the carb and see what makes some difference

Latest posts

Back