MS362 Runs great! Dies at idle.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MervMaster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey All!

I've been trying to avoid bothering everyone with my problems, but I'm stuck.

MS362 - Starts and runs normally, but won't idle. 4 pulls on choke, switch to half, runs on half, pull the trigger and it spools up and runs wide open with no problem. I don't have a leak testing rig, so I have not eliminated an air leak- but my WOT performance is normal.

Here's what I know:
A spark plug is new and is dry and chocolate brown
The ignition module is tight, and a business card from the flywheel magnet
Clutch springs are intact
Fuel lines, vent, and filter are new
The exhaust is clear, with no rust or carbon.
No tears in the intake boot
The carburetor is ultrasonic clean and blown out
Fresh fuel@50:1
Carb screws set to stock

Please Advise!

This might sound silly but have u tryed winding the idler right in so it'll idle high then u can adjust from there ?

Also by spooling up do u mean a slight bog once the trigger is pulled then it revs up?

Hey All!

I've been trying to avoid bothering everyone with my problems, but I'm stuck.

MS362 - Starts and runs normally, but won't idle. 4 pulls on choke, switch to half, runs on half, pull the trigger and it spools up and runs wide open with no problem. I don't have a leak testing rig, so I have not eliminated an air leak- but my WOT performance is normal.

Here's what I know:
A spark plug is new and is dry and chocolate brown
The ignition module is tight, and a business card from the flywheel magnet
Clutch springs are intact
Fuel lines, vent, and filter are new
The exhaust is clear, with no rust or carbon.
No tears in the intake boot
The carburetor is ultrasonic clean and blown out
Fresh fuel@50:1
Carb screws set to stock

Please Advise!
Can you do a video ?

If your not careful with the compressed air you can blow the check valve out of the high speed nozzle which would cause an air leak at idle. This would also cause a bog off idle transitioning into WOT. Have you adjusted the low speed mixture?
Ask me how I know that.

Perhaps clean the filter and turn idle up and retune the jets.
Start simple and go from there.

If your not careful with the compressed air you can blow the check valve out of the high speed nozzle which would cause an air leak at idle. This would also cause a bog off idle transitioning into WOT. Have you adjusted the low speed mixture?
I've adjusted it to stock and up and down about 3/4 turn with no major difference. sometimes it'll race a bit but then still stalls at idle.

Sounds like the carb is bad to me.
BAH! I hate that answer. chainsaw carbs are nonsense.

I'm afraid you're right though. I feel like I've paid for this saw 2-3 times with the repairs its needed. I had to replace the crankshaft last year.

Before you get the new carb can you do a compression test and also pull the muffler and look at the piston for scoring then post pictures?

Attachments

• IMG_7329.jpeg
    IMG_7329.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7330.jpeg
    IMG_7330.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7336.jpeg
    IMG_7336.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7337.jpeg
    IMG_7337.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7338.jpeg
    IMG_7338.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7334.jpeg
    IMG_7334.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7335.jpeg
    IMG_7335.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
Well that looks OK are you able to vac and pressure test it while apart ? Now would be the time. Otherwise I really think its the carb but sometimes there can be 2 problems not just one so better to check. Order a carb though.
He could have a bad seal or leaking base gasket also. Most likely the carb went caput. I've never had 362 carb problem, jinx.

Back