MS362 vs MS391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavymachinery2121

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Let me first start off by saying I'm sure this topic has been discussed hundreds of times. Before creating this thread, I tried using the search function and it wasn't working no matter what I did. I also don't really want to look through 5000 pages of threads to find something either.

Secondly, I know the differences between the saws, 362 is lighter, 391 has 5cc more, 362 is easier to work on, etc. I can easily compare those on Stihl's website.

What I am really interested in is seeing if anyone can give me real world experiences of comparing both saws. My goal is to run either saw with a 25" bar as I have another saw that is a 50cc currently using an 18". Call me Tim Taylor from Home Improvement, but I am all about more power. With the 391 having 5cc more, is it a bit misleading compared to the 362? Will the 362 really outperform the 391 or will the 391 run better?

The other thing that makes me hesitate is that since the 391 is considered a homeowner saw, I can get a 2 year warranty vs 6 month from the 362 from my local dealer.

Well I own a 390 that’s muffler modded and has a pop up piston in it and it has been a very reliable firewood saw and is really my go to saw. My brother in law and I bought my father in law a ms362-c for Christmas to replace his 034 and I will say that I was not to impressed with the 362. Idk if it was not
Broke in fully or what the deal was but it had no low rpm torque. If it’s not wide open it’s not pulling a 20” 3/8 rapid cut through wet maple and I am fairly confident my 390 will cut circles around it. Just my 2cents. Again maybe the 362 wasn’t fully broke in.

Thank you for all of your comments. I was actually thinking of dropping the saw to a .325 vs 3/8 as all of my chains run that size.

For now, this saw would be considered my larger cutting saw as I have a Jonsered 2152 that has plenty of life left in it. When that one croaks, this one would become my daily driver.

I have had both saws at the same time so I could really see the difference. I sold the 391 and kept the 362. I have a 24'' bar but I mostly run a 20'' bar.
Take it for what it's worth. Both are great saws and I like both, but at the end of the day I chose the 362 over the 391

Call me Tim Taylor from Home Improvement, but I am all about more power.

If you're all about more power, neither of these saws is what you want. Go for the 462 with a lightweight bar. Your wallet will smart for a while, but when you're running that saw, you'll forget all about the price.

If you're all about more power, neither of these saws is what you want. Go for the 462 with a lightweight bar. Your wallet will smart for a while, but when you're running that saw, you'll forget all about the price.

This.

I know people do it, but I never saw 362-class saws as a proper place to hang a 25” bar. They can pull it, but not with the sort of grunt I would want to see. At least not in hardwood.

I have had both saws at the same time so I could really see the difference. I sold the 391 and kept the 362. I have a 24'' bar but I mostly run a 20'' bar.
Take it for what it's worth. Both are great saws and I like both, but at the end of the day I chose the 362 over the 391
This is sort of where my mindset was going as well.

I would love to have that saw, but the wifey was mad went I jumped up $150. If I go back to her and say I need another $400, hopefully that saw comes with a tent and an air mattress! ;)

For the price of a 362 there are Husqvarna and Echo options (especially if you can find places online with 15-20% off dealer days) that are bigger and much torquier but they are heavier, looks like the 462 is the best light weight option for running 25" IMO. I wouldn't cut bigger than 18-20" hardwood with a 362, they just have no low end torque.

Why do you say that?
It will make the saw nose heavy. The 20” es light (18” normal Stihl bar) is perfect for a saw of this weight. Here is a picture I took just after doing a full rebuild on my Stihl 034 super. View attachment 894446

Also, like has been said, neither will have impressive power with that size bar buried in hardwood. Sorry to repeat this, but if you think a 70cc saw is expensive, it's still cheaper than buying the wrong saw, selling it at a loss and then buying the correct saw.

Buy a 70cc or bigger saw for that bar
You won’t like a 25” (even if it is an es light) hanging off either of those saws.
I run a 24 on my 562 no problemo, it even handled a 28 decently in 24 inch hardwood. For occasional use I think a 362 would be fine, but for a two saw plan 45-55cc and 70-80cc sounds best. My dad managed 10 acres of forest and did minor clearing work using just a 445 with an 18 and a 372 with a 32 (running skip chain) for over a decade without any problems.

Back