MS390 washer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the recent past I've received several 290-390 Stihl saws to rebuild that someone had removed or lost the large cover (washer) that goes between the oil pump and the clutch. I've always replaced them but I'm wondering if it's really necessary since they didn't have them on before and they did okay.

In the recent past I've received several 290-390 Stihl saws to rebuild that someone had removed or lost the large cover (washer) that goes between the oil pump and the clutch. I've always replaced them but I'm wondering if it's really necessary since they didn't have them on before and they did okay.
clutch grenade washers must match clutch and thickness of the clutch spider. Stihl originally tried to incorporate protection in the shoe retainer design but apparently wasn't good enough. Now they use the grenade washers but MUST match the clutch. Clutch an washer usually sold together.

This saw has been apart before so I wasn't sure about the washer. I'm pretty sure about the missing 3 hole metal spacer (gasket) that goes behind the muffler, luckily I found one in my spare parts. The saw also had Motoseal instead of Dirko on the crankcase pan, which is what I used when I put the engine together. I have some Dirko but it's awfully messy, I get more of it on me than on the saw...

Latest posts

Back