MS391 or MS400 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRX

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Currently have an MS390, but took it to the cabin where it will stay and be used to cut firewood. Now, I need a new saw.

Narrowed it down to the MS391 or the new MS400. The specs are close for both saws (3cc difference) but the price is $300 more for the MS400.

More power is great, but is it worth $100 per cc?

Yes. You going to buy a new saw, it should be better than what you already have. And it is. That's what you pay for.
My guess is - you will be happy you spent that money. Thats what its all about.. you are going from a strong farmer saw to a pro grade saw.
Its a step up and it will inspire you. Its a difference going out doing the work that you look forwards to - than what you just needs to do.
The response at the throttle, the power, eager and willingness..

Yes. You going to buy a new saw, it should be better than what you already have. And it is. That's what you pay for.
My guess is - you will be happy you spent that money. Thats what its all about.. you are going from a strong farmer saw to a pro grade saw.
Its a step up and it will inspire you. Its a difference going out doing the work that you look forwards to - than what you just needs to do.
The response at the throttle, the power, eager and willingness..

Thank you!

Spend the extra on the 400 pro saw.We got on a new 400cm 2 months ago and i love it.I use it for firewood , bucking up logs .We have a large firewood operation so the saws get used alot!

Currently have an MS390, but took it to the cabin where it will stay and be used to cut firewood. Now, I need a new saw.

Narrowed it down to the MS391 or the new MS400. The specs are close for both saws (3cc difference) but the price is $300 more for the MS400.

More power is great, but is it worth $100 per cc?
The only spec that are close is the displacement. MS400 is almost a pound lighter, has over 20% more power, higher revving, better ergonomics, overall an entirely different class of saw. It's like comparing corvette to a station wagon, ones a high performance machine and the other is a work horse kid hauler even though both have 4 wheels and similar sized engines.

Another vote for the 400. After my 462 and 261 were stolen I "needed" another saw. Neither of those saws were available the time and I grabbed the 400. After break in its a great cutting saw. My other 2 saws were recovered and I stihl pick up the 400 most of the time. Good luck.

I have a stihl 400cm and a echo 590 . The stihl 400 is a very nice saw,with that said the echo 590 at $399.is a great saw and awesome value. Make your decision base upon whether or not you can afford the difference in price. They will both perform well.

Back