Ms391 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunky

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Let me start with "im no mechanic by a long shot" soo.
I started out trying to mill with a 261 that didnt last long, i pushed it!
Now ive got a 391 that id like to use to finish milling a oak tree that fell back in April. Ik its still not up to what i need but its what i could afford. Lesson learned, i eill be going slow. Not to burn it up like the last time!
Ive read several post here on muffler mods. Will this muffler mod work on my 391? Whats its benefits, keeping from getting so hot, more hp?? This is a screenshot that im talking about of a 261mod thread.
Thanks in advance.
afa4da5b62f81d2f510e76455b3bd96a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

How big is the oak and what sort of bar/chain are you milling with?

Me thinks the 391 might follow your 261 to chainsaw heaven.

If you muffler mod make sure you tune the carb correctly or that can ruin a powerhead also.
Standard stihl 3/8 ridged chain, but ive been thinking of getting a ripping chain. Will it help?
Mostly 16-18 inch diameter and smaller. Ive got the cut at 4.6ft and 6.6ft logs.
7a4c43c42ea8b4a5211e7497aa9f8987.jpg

That lower end design wasn't ever remotely intended for ripping.
That series is a inexpensive, larger displacement saw.

You should absolutely use a ripping chain.

The rest is my opinion only ...

Buy a ripping chain or re profile a chain to make your own. Just set the depth gauges at like .10

Take frequent breaks when cutting

let the saw idle for a min before you shut it off after a long cut.

Max out your oiler and richen up your carb a tad.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

You should absolutely use a ripping chain.

The rest is my opinion only ...

Buy a ripping chain or re profile a chain to make your own. Just set the depth gauges at like .10

Take frequent breaks when cutting

let the saw idle for a min before you shut it off after a long cut.

Max out your oiler and richen up your carb a tad.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
UA, thanks for the tips but I've just about talked myself out of milling it. I just cant justify messing up another saw.
Yes if I thought I could sale a couple nice tables out of it I'd probably give it a try but my luck just dont run that way [emoji2369]

All ive ever owned has been small poulan and craftsman saws just to ckean up the yard or ckear shooting lanes etc.
When i came across the 291, i didnt know what to do with the extra power is why i had the idea to do some milling.
Well yesterday i cut with the 391 for the first time....oh man was i surprised.
Even the 291 had to be babied thought some of this downed oak but not this 391. It went thought some of the 20in stuff like butter.
I cant wait to finish up this tree now [emoji106]

I just upgraded my fifth 290 this year to a 390. Yes, it's far more powerful and all the owners wanted the upgrade. I've always thought the 290 Farm Boss was rather underpowered and that an 18" bar was its max. In most cases, the decomp valve is not needed, so I just plug it.

I just upgraded my fifth 290 this year to a 390. Yes, it's far more powerful and all the owners wanted the upgrade. I've always thought the 290 Farm Boss was rather underpowered and that an 18" bar was its max. In most cases, the decomp valve is not needed, so I just plug it.
This is my first saw with a decomp so i didnt even think about it until after a few cranks but I seen very little difference in it.

Latest posts

Back