MS391 try and stop me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samarsenault

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all. I cut a couple cords firewood per year very small volume I just really enjoy it.

i'm on holidays from my full time job this week and am going over to a friend's house to help block some 8 foot maple he had delivered.
I have a 10 year old MS250 that serves me very well. Excellant little saw for what I paid for it.

I'm seriously thinking of dropping $$ on a new MS391 tomorrow morning.

Try and stop me or offer your alternatives.

Local stihl dealer is great. I am always happy giving them my dollar. There is a great husqvarna dealer but he is almost an hour's drive away from where I live so i'm not thinking too seriously of him.

The 025 or later MS250 is in my view the best saw ever made; lightweight, maneverable and plenty of power for a 14" bar. I have the super deluxe pro. version with a magnesium frame - it's called MS241.

Hey all. I cut a couple cords firewood per year very small volume I just really enjoy it.

i'm on holidays from my full time job this week and am going over to a friend's house to help block some 8 foot maple he had delivered.
I have a 10 year old MS250 that serves me very well. Excellant little saw for what I paid for it.

I'm seriously thinking of dropping $$ on a new MS391 tomorrow morning.

Try and stop me or offer your alternatives.

Local stihl dealer is great. I am always happy giving them my dollar. There is a great husqvarna dealer but he is almost an hour's drive away from where I live so i'm not thinking too seriously of him.
391 is heavy but a good saw. 261 might fit your needs with less weight. I prefer pro model saws

I cut a couple cords firewood per year very small volume I just really enjoy it.

I have a 10 year old MS250 that serves me very well.

Gosh, I can't imagine you being happy with the MS391. I find it to be a heavy turd of a saw. I have not owned one, but run them from time to time at work.

Try running the MS250 with a brick duck taped to the powerhead...kind of like the MS391. I think, if you buy a 391, you will be back to grabbing the 250.

Your use has me thinking: MS261 running an 18" .325 bar.

Roy

just an update. I did hit my stihl dealer and did some retail therapy. Got a new MS261C. After holding it and the 391 the choice was clear to me.
Ran for a couple hours bucking firewood at my friend's house yesterday very happy. Amazing anti vibe, more power than i needed. 16" Bar and Chain, .325. It rips!

just an update. I did hit my stihl dealer and did some retail therapy. Got a new MS261C. After holding it and the 391 the choice was clear to me.
Ran for a couple hours bucking firewood at my friend's house yesterday very happy. Amazing anti vibe, more power than i needed. 16" Bar and Chain, .325. It rips!

I thought you were looking for a bigger saw. The 261 is a great 50cc saw, and will run a 3/8 20" B&C real nice, for a bigger saw feel and capability. Good choice!

Got a new MS261C.

Good job.

While you are deciding what to do about the MS250 (you probably won't want to actually use it any more), I suggest dumping the gas out of the 250 and doing a purge. Don't want the saw getting nasty just sitting around with gas in it.

Roy

I bought a 391 2 years ago only because it was the only Stihl I could find within a hundred miles. It runs great , maybe a little slow but I’m retired and enjoy cutting with it.

I bought a 391 2 years ago only because it was the only Stihl I could find within a hundred miles. It runs great , maybe a little slow but I’m retired and enjoy cutting with it.

Nothing wrong with it. Like my ms290, a damn fine saw. But time has moved on and there are better saws available today vs. the 10, 15 or more years that the ms290, 291, 391, etc were engineered and sold.

ive put lots of wood in the trailer with those 390 saws, but I dont regret moving up to the 360 stihl range when the opportunity came round, less weight, more power, better fuel burn, easier to work on etc.

Congrats on the new saw that ms261 is a good saw. I have a ms250 and when I upgraded I went with the ms362. At first I thought it was a bit heavy but after using it it feels pretty light. My step dad has a ms311 I believe it is the same weight as a ms391 and well I've never officially time any cuts between the 2 but just from using the 2 I really can't tell that the ms362 is noticeably quicker it revs higher but as for the non professional tree harvester I would of had no problem purchasing a ms311 or ms391 that being said I find the ms362 to be an awesome chainsaw lightweight plenty of power for cutting firewood I cut 20 too 30 inch hardwood. I have cut down 40 to 50inch trees with it but I would not recommend that.

Back