Ms460 project :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookies

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Scooped up the saw carcass yesterday for 100 bucks, missing a few plastics and the cylinder/piston is roached...I already have the plastics ordered and all of the seals/hoses and a meteor cylinder kit. Today is disassemble and clean everything because the engine parts will arrive tomorrow! I was really hoping to save the mahle cylinder but it has a couple scratches that grab the finger nail and a couple really weird spots in the chrome plating I myself do not trust. Anyway enjoy the carnage photos...clean parts **** coming soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1556[1].JPG
    IMG_1556[1].JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1553[1].JPG
    IMG_1553[1].JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1557[1].JPG
    IMG_1557[1].JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1559[1].JPG
    IMG_1559[1].JPG
    3 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1558[1].JPG
    IMG_1558[1].JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
That jug may clean up. Personally I’d try some muriatic acid on a Qtip and carefully add to the areas of transfer. Keep a bucket of baking side solution nearby to neutralize. Be careful to watch the fizzing and make certain it’s not undermining the plating.

Sand afterwards.

Any high spots in those grooves need to be sanded flush.

Meteor pistons are fine. Their cylinders are tough as nails in terms of plating and should last a lifetime. The performance of their cylindes will not be on par with the oem castings unfortunately.

The Piston/cylinder/rings/gaskets/ crank seals/impulse/fuel hose/cheap recoil all showed up today around 3pm so of course I started working on it
Learned a lesson to check the piston pin length vs the oem, yea that cost me 30 minutes trying to reuse the oem pin and it being a fraction longer
I only cleaned up the casting blemishes in the ports ,piston windows and transfers and checked squish (.028) Because I have a very busy next few day I just went ahead and assembled it. Tomorrow I'll run it and adjust the carb some, it feels like it has serious compression even with the decomp depressed! I have a pile of parts in rout to put the finishing touches on it that are missing. I weighed the meteor piston and the oem with stuck rings in it, the meteor was only about 8 grams lighter without rings in it. That was pictures of the oem cylinder after using acid on it, I figured why mess around and possibly get bit trying to run a scarred jug. The wife really wants the dining room table back LOL!!

Attachments

• IMG_1560[1].JPG
    IMG_1560[1].JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1561[1].JPG
    IMG_1561[1].JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
It wouldn’t be so much about trying to get that bit of extra performance from the OEM jug in my opinion, as it would be maintaining its original parts. That jug looked just fine all things considered and may have cleaned up really well.

however the recoil cover isn’t OEM and it does bring into question what else has been changed out to non OEM. Therefore that has already devalued the saw before you got to it, so no biggy. Just enjoy it I say :)

I have a new stihl recoil and a used air filter cover and a bunch of small bits for the bar area coming but its taking 2+ weeks for shipping, the recoil currently on it is going in the trash since its junk. I felt the plating was too compromised to risk the bottom end getting chrome sent through it, those are pictures after cleaning it up with acid and sand paper. I started it up and ran it twice today, the compression in that larger engine will wear your a$$ out priming a dry carb even with a decomp valve!

Cool project, they are a nice saw.
Meteor kits are pretty much a Worldwide accepted replacement for OEM and if you own the saw and you had doubts about the original cylinder internals, totally your choice on replacing it or taking the risk.
In the "dirty" photos, is it just the photo, or is that a sealed bearing still in the case half?

Cool project, they are a nice saw.
Meteor kits are pretty much a Worldwide accepted replacement for OEM and if you own the saw and you had doubts about the original cylinder internals, totally your choice on replacing it or taking the risk.
In the "dirty" photos, is it just the photo, or is that a sealed bearing still in the case half?
I thought the same thing, though zooming in I think t’s one of stihls plastic cage bearings, I noticed my 056 super had a metal cage one side and a plastic cage the other. Not sure why?

Yes the clutch side bearing stayed in the case when I separated it, they had steel cages with a plastic shield that faced inwards towards the rod for what I assume was to help keep trash out. Also on that side the crank seal presses into the bearing body not the case and is retained by a snap ring making it a bear to get the seal lip across with out tearing or deforming. A plastic sparkplug sleeve was used as a install tool to slip the seal over the groove :)

I finally got enough free time to go run the saw for half a tank, yea the clutch cover is not oem but I do have a oem for it. Its a really strong/powerful saw even in that really dirty wood. The center of that tree is full of trash.

Latest posts

Back