Ms461 saw design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the 461 is suppose to delay transfer flow, not reverse flow.

No I don't see any saws with exhaust foulings in the transfers Mike.

I did just pull apart a 346XP that had a bunch of blowby fouling on the piston and in the crankcase. (The thread about one or two rings came to mind)

I would imagine the 362 runs leaner and burn at a higher temperature......hence the soot.
Ya' know, I just got done putzing around with a MS211 (I heard that....) and it was set lean as hell from the factory. So lean that it wasn't making good power. Muffler and exhaust port had a ton of soot in it. Huh.

So basically they copied the 575 design with front transfers and long runners but no strato ports. They added the deflector/doomaflaggy onto it. I get the long runners take longer to fill the chamber. It just seems it's a more efficient design not per say a new generation of strato.

A very old thread I know but after recently being inside my 461 I was prompted to read all 17 pages here and several more pages elsewhere.
So after all these years, and several new models introduced by Stihl (without them) has anyone removed these stuffer /diverter thingies in the case with noticeable effects, either good or bad?
Or should I do the experiment lol?
I'm talking about a gutted dual port muff, maxflow, unlimited coil, timing advanced by 7 deg, ex and int port cleaned up and matched 461.

A very old thread I know but after recently being inside my 461 I was prompted to read all 17 pages here and several more pages elsewhere.
So after all these years, and several new models introduced by Stihl (without them) has anyone removed these stuffer /diverter thingies in the case with noticeable effects, either good or bad?
Or should I do the experiment lol?
I'm talking about a gutted dual port muff, maxflow, unlimited coil, timing advanced by 7 deg, ex and int port cleaned up and matched 461.
With as many issues as there are with cracked pistons in the 461, 462, and 661, that flange might be more hassle than it’s worth. It was such an issue on the 462 that they redesigned the motor and put it on the exhaust side rather than intake side. I think it’s worth a try running it without it

And thats a saw that is as a 046 rated at 4,4kw in the 60cc weight regime.
Why change it ?
It just never gets enough now does it, if it was 20hp - you would still not be happy with it...

Yep, thays right. Always need more power. Can't see anything wrong with that.
Consider life expectancy in to the equation, might be worth it.
Burning your candle in both ends at the same time might be fun in the short term though...
Yeah - such a bright shining light for such a short period of time
:chainsaw:

And thats a saw that is as a 046 rated at 4,4kw in the 60cc weight regime.
Why change it ?
It just never gets enough now does it, if it was 20hp - you would still not be happy with it...
Has nothing to do with power. The 3 saws I mentioned above are known for the piston hitting that flange when the piston gets slightly worn and it blows it all to hell. Thought maybe I’d save the guy that grief

Consider life expectancy in to the equation, might be worth it.
Burning your candle in both ends at the same time might be fun in the short term though...
Yeah - such a bright shining light for such a short period of time
:chainsaw:
Most people on this page have never worn out a chainsaw and never will.

So true, I expect dumb greenies to have been successful in banning fuel before any of mine wear out cutting only 10 to 15 tonnes a year.
Still it is cool to know that there a dozen or more big saws in the shed and all are in A+ condition and begging to be fuelled up!
Plus I don't think a nice 066 084 or 394 will drop in value for a while yet.

Back