MS462c crank bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Gordon

Arborist Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently acquired a three year old but blown MS 462c, I’m planning on changing the piston, crank bearings and seals
the flywheel side bearing Is a normal 6202 bearing but I’m having a very hard time finding an option for the clutch side bearing
Comparing the bearings that are on the 462 to my old bearings from my 034 they pretty near look identical so I’m wondering if there is an option other than buying directly from the dealer at $35 a bearing, I’ll do it if there’s no other option
I’m sure someone has put non oem bearings on their 462 that were for a different model saw and it probably runs fine
I’ve done a little research and I think the bearings and seals are the same from a ms361 but I’d like some confirmation to that
Thanx for now guys take care

ya it’s probably the right thing to do, I mean I didn’t pay anything for the saw but it’s just a habit to try to find a better deal, but at the end of the day sometimes you just have to shut up and pay to get the things you want lol

I recently acquired a three year old but blown MS 462c, I’m planning on changing the piston, crank bearings and seals
the flywheel side bearing Is a normal 6202 bearing but I’m having a very hard time finding an option for the clutch side bearing
Comparing the bearings that are on the 462 to my old bearings from my 034 they pretty near look identical so I’m wondering if there is an option other than buying directly from the dealer at $35 a bearing, I’ll do it if there’s no other option
I’m sure someone has put non oem bearings on their 462 that were for a different model saw and it probably runs fine
I’ve done a little research and I think the bearings and seals are the same from a ms361 but I’d like some confirmation to that
Thanx for now guys take care
If it’s the same as a 361, it’s the proprietary PTO 6202 bearing. They are usually made by FAG or SKF for Stihl. The PTO side is a 6202 with an extended outer lip to retain the seal. Again, if it’s the same as a 361, they are around $20 from a reasonable dealer.

They were actually NTN bearings
But that’s besides the point, as much as 361 and 462 pto bearing look and measure the same, and they both use the same crank seal, stihl uses different part numbers for each saw
I’ve already ordered the bearing and seals meant for the 462
At the end of the day I’ll pay a little more to have the “right” ones
There aren’t many aftermarket part options for theses saws yet probably because they are still relatively new
Anyways thanx for all the help
Take care

I'm not positive on Stihls, but a lot of other two strokes have a specific class of fit bearing for their crankshafts. It's not always an off the shelf part, even if the 4 digit number is the same. The clearance between the races and balls can be slightly different, as is the precision and rpm rating.

Personally, I'd go OEM for both.

I'm not positive on Stihls, but a lot of other two strokes have a specific class of fit bearing for their crankshafts. It's not always an off the shelf part, even if the 4 digit number is the same. The clearance between the races and balls can be slightly different, as is the precision and rpm rating.

Personally, I'd go OEM for both.
Typically referred to as a “C3” bearing.

Latest posts

Back