MS660.........The saw from hell

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bet that took a while.
The thing that took awhile was doing my best to flush any possible metal shavings out of the cooling system as possible and how many times I filled the system, drained it out, filled and drained, filled and drained. One has to open up a bolt up under the side of the engine block to do things right. If all the air is not bled out.

Here is an example from one Z3 owner.
"I had huge problems when I changed my rad ( non bmw OEM but a Hella rad all the same which many parts are on a Zed )and refilled with coolant, all sorts of weird things happened, fan not coming on at all, fan on too much, coolant blowing out the expansion tank. you name it it happened.
I found it was mainly down to air in the system and needing a new filler cap ( sopers bmw for that, dont use aftermarket tried that and caused a lot of my issues) these on the M43TU at least have the pressure relieve built into them along with a seal
I found the Zed to be a real bi*** to bleed, took me ages and at least 4 drain/fills after watching youtube clips and different ways to fill/bleed"

Read up on building a pressure test kit, and started to disassemble saw to see if fittings I have would work. Turns out I didn't connect impulse hose to carb.

It runs and idles!

Just got back from cutting some trees that came down in the field this winter. Runs really solid and chews through wood unlike anything I have ever ran.

Thank you everyone for all your help!

HAHAHAHA This reminds me of something pretty darn funny that happened to me maybe 40 years ago when I was around 18. I was heading to work at an apartment complex where my day would be filled with digging a drainage ditch to eventually pour a concrete swail.

I thought I had caught a flash of something behind me on this one bumpy and twisty road about 2 miles from home. Then I got to the end of that street and onto a faster main road, where I saw another flying object in my rear. Turns out, I figured what the first one was when I saw the 2nd. HAHA I had to go back for my one shoe and newspaper, and to the first street for my 2nd shoe. I had left them on the roof of my car and was driving in bare feet I think. Sure would have been hard to dig in bare feet that day.

Mitivac 8500, that does pressure and vac?
Yes. Even though the saw runs now I would still pressure/vac test it. Small leaks can easily be hidden when a saw is newly assembled and full of oil.

I am in a similar situation. I got a MS 460 to run that I didn't expect to, so now I intend to go back in and re-test. Its also easier to do while everything is still clean.

Bought the saw not working, so knew there were problems. Seller is not in saw business and did not know it wasn't a Stihl. She did however refund $200 so now I'm into it for slightly more than a new Farmetec including parts. In retrospect, I should have reassembled the saw and returned it for a full refund, but that is no longer an option.

As for compression, put both the OEM bolt in hole for decompression valve, as well as a new valve. Neither had any effect. Also thought compression gauge might be leaking but there is very low resistance when pulling on rope.

Thoroughly inspected cylinder, and could not see any cracks in it, but it's possible so might need a new cylinder. Bought the Hyway piston with Caber rings, so will probably go with Hyway cylinder.

As for no spark, followed instructions from manual and pulled the hot lead from coil. Nothing. Removed ground wire as well, and still nothing. The only thing I can think of is I got a defective coil.

Not fond of spending another $150, but also not fond of throwing away all the money I already spent too.

Opinions?
Chinese coil ? If so measure the resistance just to be on the safe side and gap it correctly.

Trx,
Good to hear you stuck it out. Buying the 660 is a crapshoot these days... I been through a couple of doozies too. Finally found one in a ditch one day ( long story) She ran well enough too get me hooked on the model ( read: happier than a jackass eating briars. ) Just sent my latest off to Huskihl for an extra sausage deluxe ala new parts. That saw is a good time just pull the string.

Chinese coil ? If so measure the resistance just to be on the safe side and gap it correctly.

Bought the DZE coil from Wolf Creek, and using an Oregon spark plug. Checked resistance when it arrived, and it checked out.

Finally found one in a ditch one day..............

They said I would calm down and acquire patience when I get older. Still hasn't happened yet.

If you had been near my place a week ago, you would have found a saw in the front yard...........And I would have encouraged you to take it. LOL

Yes. Even though the saw runs now I would still pressure/vac test it. Small leaks can easily be hidden when a saw is newly assembled and full of oil.

Now that I know how to work on this saw, and really like how it performs, I went ahead and ordered the test kit. If nothing else, it will save time diagnosing it if something goes wrong in the future.

Bought the DZE coil from Wolf Creek, and using an Oregon spark plug. Checked resistance when it arrived, and it checked out.

They said I would calm down and acquire patience when I get older. Still hasn't happened yet.

If you had been near my place a week ago, you would have found a saw in the front yard...........And I would have encouraged you to take it. LOL

Now that I know how to work on this saw, and really like how it performs, I went ahead and ordered the test kit. If nothing else, it will save time diagnosing it if something goes wrong in the future.
You are wise beyond your years !

Latest posts

Back