Ms660 what to do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lohan808

Powersaw addict
Reaction score
Scored a ms660. Gotta say that I am not disappointed. Was a homeowner firewood saw maybe some milling. New to me but oiler was not getting it done and locked up the sprocket on 24" and 20"bars, but got em going again. It cuts great for 2-3 bucks in 24+ inch oak but the chain was dry. Vintage 2004 magnum. No scoring on the p/c. Oem.
To the scholars of saw I ask should I go for a complete rebuild gaskets ,seals , bearings, intake and whatnot, or just do the oiler and kill trees. Thanks for hearing me.

The worm gear maybe about stripped or the clutch drum around the bearing maybe worn out and wobbly not turning the worm gearl. Also the adjustable oiler may not be turned up to max. If working right the MS660 will oil a 36" bar.
Jl I thought about that. So I did turn up the oiler, as it should on max for the wood I am processing. Ran it w/o bar - just a trickle. I will be going for the hi output replacement, got lots of hard wood to cut.

Jl I thought about that. So I did turn up the oiler, as it should on max for the wood I am processing. Ran it w/o bar - just a trickle. I will be going for the hi output replacement, got lots of hard wood to cut.
Remove the clutch and check the worm gear. If the oiler is working right and the worm gear turning the oiler will pour oil out the oiler hole. To remove the clutch put a boot string in the plug hole and not let it get fouled in the exhaust hole and remove the clutch turning clockwise. (youtube video watch) (use a cheater bar on the handle). Pull the plastic worm gear out and look at the threads. I have a MS660 I bought that had three tanks put through it that had the worm gear stripped.

If the pump body is O.K. you can put in the high volume pump piston and control bolt.

As mentioned check the worm gear. Also make sure the oil line and filter are not clogged. Bio-oil will go bad after a while and polymerize.

Guys thanks so much for the tips. It is a great saw and I want to treat it right. Keep the information coming. I am looking forward to making mountains of chips

Sometimes that worm gear looks good but the wire thing is not tight on the nylon worm and wont drive the pump properly and look carefully at the more oil adjuster and make sure you are turning it the right way, seems to me they are clockwise to get more oil if I remember correctly.

Sometimes that worm gear looks good but the wire thing is not tight on the nylon worm and wont drive the pump properly and look carefully at the more oil adjuster and make sure you are turning it the right way, seems to me they are clockwise to get more oil if I remember correctly.

Or the tip of the metal actuating wire is busted/worn off.

Update on the saw.
Careful guide inspection by a fellow Stihl fanatic repairman revealed no damage to the worm gear and seal. Lucky draw! So I added the h/o piston and blew out the lines. Filter had crud on the inside so it got scrapped too. Happy saw, back to tree murder. Thanks to all here at Arboristsite for the advice. You guys rock.

Keep saws clean and well maintained. Too many times customers have brought me many a saw, and it is full of grime. I don't like charging for cleaning. Also friendly reminder, flip your bars after you get your chains sharpened.

Keep saws clean and well maintained. Too many times customers have brought me many a saw, and it is full of grime. I don't like charging for cleaning. Also friendly reminder, flip your bars after you get your chains sharpened.
I am a fastidious cleaner of the saw. A tool will let you down if you don't treat it with respect. I flip the bar every time too, after cleaning out the sharpened chain and the bar grooves as well. As I am learning the saw I am cleaning each time I remove something... cover, starter, etc. Saw has become abit hard to start. Tuned alright, but is there something visual on the walbro I should be looking for?

Back