Ms880 -- How bad is the availability?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have up on craigslist my Ms880. It is just to heavy and it is NOT a firewood saw. It is for BIG timber and for milling. And for someone a lot stronger and younger then me.

I got a call from a guy in Texas, who wants to buy it. He says they are NOT available, period. The only way to get one is to search the used market. He found me and one other guy in New York, who isn't answering his phone(?).

I thought no-way. Shipping has got to be crazy expensive. But the guy says he's paying up to $200 for shipping. Wow!

Tomorrow I search for a big box and see what is the actual shipping cost. I thought $100, but I'm prepared to be shocked.

I had no idea that Stihl saws availability was this bad.

They’re out there. Not many people need a saw that big and the price is high. Lots of little shops have one that’s been there for years.

It was ~$125 to send a 41, 37, 36, and 28 inch bar to TX in one box, and it was $175+ to send an 075 to the same place as the bars. Your stuff is pretty cheap.

Yikes! And my prices are elevated as it is not a UPS shipping outlet, rather is a small grocery store. They do pretty well acting as a go-between for customers and UPS. To get a real shipping price the drive to Missoula is 150 miles round trip, or about the same cost when I include the price of gas.

They’re out there. Not many people need a saw that big and the price is high. Lots of little shops have one that’s been there for years.

Yeah, it is a specialty saw. I thought it might be fun, but I hate it. And I didn't "buy" it. Part cash, and a Sig P220 that I wanted to sell. It was a good functioning pistol, but I just never really cared for it. Had I known what a beast the 880 was, and how hard they are to find a new owner, I would have held onto the pistol for some other different trade.

Yeah, it is a specialty saw. I thought it might be fun, but I hate it. And I didn't "buy" it. Part cash, and a Sig P220 that I wanted to sell. It was a good functioning pistol, but I just never really cared for it. Had I known what a beast the 880 was, and how hard they are to find a new owner, I would have held onto the pistol for some other different trade.
Sounds like a fair trade. A gun you don’t like for a saw you don’t like either. You probably got something out of both and there’s no harm in letting them go.

I have a similar relationship with my 880. I’m not sure if I hate it or it hates me.

Wow, I'd be tempted to buy one if I could find one.

I love to hate the 881.
She's huge & slow af, but definitely great for milling & strong

I had a heck of a time finding mine.
I just drove to Bloomingdale NJ, from Buffalo NY to buy a mint 088 about 3 weeks ago. Came with a 48" bar and 2 chains. Maybe the gentleman is in this site? The guy thought I was crazy, but I told him these big saws aren't available second hand up near me. What can you do, I've been wanting one for years. 🤷‍♂️

I had a heck of a time finding mine.
I just drove to Bloomingdale NJ, from Buffalo NY to buy a mint 088 about 3 weeks ago. Came with a 48" bar and 2 chains. Maybe the gentleman is in this site? The guy thought I was crazy, but I told him these big saws aren't available second hand up near me. What can you do, I've been wanting one for years. 🤷‍♂️
The last time I was in my local saw shop, they had a new 880/881 on the floor.
If your interested I can give you the details.
That's too funny. I'm from Syracuse and drove to Springville to buy a pretty clean 088 in September. A timbersports guy had it.

That's too funny. I'm from Syracuse and drove to Springville to buy a pretty clean 088 in September. A timbersports guy had it.
Well howdy neighbor! I must of not seen that one. Springville is about an hour from me. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for yours? I got mine for $1200, and I thought I was getting a smoking deal.
That's a 461 to the left. I drove to Trumbull Connecticut after I got the 088 for that one. I guess you could say I have a slight problem lol.

Attachments

• 20221210_162627.jpg
    20221210_162627.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
I paid $1100. Has a 36" husky bar. Guy said it was all oem. Seems to run strong. That's my record for a chainsaw. Drove to Maine for a dirtbike, and Indiana for a skid steer engine.

Attachments

• 20220924_132801.jpg
    20220924_132801.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
About 4 years ago I paid 1000.00 for my 088. It had a chipped clutch cover and hadn't been run in a while.
Ive run a MS880 and the 088 is definitely stronger.
Good to know. I was kinda wondering what the stronger of the 088/880 was. I went with the 088 as I figured it had less emissions compliant stuff.

Latest posts

Back