MTD/Timberland 642 Splitter Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone know any other brand names this generic splitter was sold under? I just inherited it, made in like the 80s 12 1/2 ton. MTD 245-645-041 is the part number on the cylinder. It has an 8hp briggs motor, hydraulic reservoir in the main beam. And that brings me to why I'm looking for cross compatibility, I was nut and bolting it (randomly one of the head bolts was back way out idk why) and I over tightened the reservoir cleanout cover and its now leaking, if I have to pull that off and drain all the fresh looking fluid out of it I want to put a new seal in it. Looking under this model number its showing NLA but this part has got to be the same on like every homeowner grade log splitter.

I should also try and find the manual for the motor, it was so pig rich it barely ran so I just started turning the carb screws in until it ran good, no idea which one is the H or L. It still rich bogs under real heavy load but I dont want to go turning the screws randomly at this point.

Yeah. I found the manual for the motor, so all set there. I think I'm just going to pull the cover off and measure the seal and either order an industrial gasket or make one from rubber gasket sheet.

Latest posts

Back