MTD wood splitter 27 ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushswamper523

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just picked up a 27 Ton mtd gold wood splitter. It needs a little bit of work but splits most of the time. I want it splitting all the time. The issue I am having is sometimes as in hits the wood the ram stops pushing. I let it return all the was back in the run again and it will push through the round with ease. Little confused on that. Also the ram is very slow. What can be causing this, weak pump? I dunno anything about it but I am pretty handy so I think I can fix it as long I know what to fix. Thanks for any help on the matter in advanced. Wood season is starting in few months and I want to be Ready for it.

Like @cscltd said check your fluid level first. It should be an almost amber/honey color. Not milky white. Don't overfill!! If hours are unknown replace the hydraulic filter. Worn pump could cause a slow ram but check fluids and filter first .NAPA is a good place to get a hydraulic filter. Most splitters run a 25 micron filter. Keep us posted. I can get you some links to some places to get a pump if need be. Good luck.

I’m not an expert, but low fluid lever will cause some issues like that,

Like @cscltd said check your fluid level first. It should be an almost amber/honey color. Not milky white. Don't overfill!! If hours are unknown replace the hydraulic filter. Worn pump could cause a slow ram but check fluids and filter first .NAPA is a good place to get a hydraulic filter. Most splitters run a 25 micron filter. Keep us posted. I can get you some links to some places to get a pump if need be. Good luck.
Thanks guys the fluid looks good but is a little low. I will try and add a little see if that works and let you guys know.

Back