Muffler Bolt Hole Stripped - Helicoil Repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Campin' Cutter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My 262xp muffler bracket hole (the little hole for the m5-.8 that holds the bracket for the muffler) was stripped out. I noticed it this weekend when I went out cutting, went to refill the bar oil, and it all came pouring out the hole formerly occupied by the m5-.8 screw šŸ˜¬. The screw must have vibrated out while cutting. I wanted to reuse the same size screw so I installed a helicoil and everything is patched up now! Making this post for two reasons: 1. I had no idea that little muffler bracket screw went clear through into the bar oil tank, definitely was a surprise! And 2. I picked up a metric helicoil kit that was reasonably priced and every bit as good as the name brand I've used in the past. I figured I'd share it with you all since most of us do our own repairs. It's here if any of you are in the market for such a kit:

CO-Z Metric Thread Repair Tool Kit | HSS Drill Bits Taps Threaded Inserts Installation Tool and Tang Break-Off Tool Set for Repairing M5 M6 M8 M10 M12 Internal Screw Holes, 131pcs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018LMAXF...abc_P2AVDTM5XFZ8APDGRTCF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Oh no! Someone may have cranked on it a bit too hard at some time, but great to hear that you were able to sort it out - possibly stronger than it was originally. I'm sure it's a happy Husky now :)

Those helicoil sets work great, was given one for Christmas and have used several M5 and M6 coils so far,for the price they just fine. Helicoils are at times the only fix if the holding meat is rather thin and drilling oversize for an insert is not possible. They work great on screws that are not removed very often.

Yes, the thread insert will make it stronger than original.

Before running in the screw for the last time, degrease the screw and the hole and coat each with 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Let it dry over night before filling with oil for a no seep seal. [emoji108]

Latest posts

Back