Multi tool attachment interchangeability?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve acquired several multi tool heads and accessories IE the trimmer power head with detachable accessories such as trimmer, hedge trimmer, pole saw, rototiller etc.

Is there any interchangeably between the different brands? I think I have a Poulan, Toro, Ryobi, and maybe one other head. Plus a bunch of attachments that maybe belong to one of the heads.

Also curious if any of the new electric power heads could use these accessories?

Best way to tell is check the shaft ends on the power heads and the attachments.

I’ll probably end up having to do that. The toro head looks just like a Homelite ST series so I’m betting that’s what it is.

I started with Ryobi and switched to Troy Bilt, everything swaps back and forth with no issues. I have mostly Ryobi attachments (blower, blower/vac, hedge trimmer, lawn edger, and reciprocating pole saw but at least one Troy Bilt, the cultivator. The 4 cycle Troy Bilt pulls the cultivator without issues, I am not sure the Ryobi could do that.

Mark

P.S. Straight shaft and curved shaft trimmers too...

Many brands like Sears (different versions through the years), Lowe’s, etc., are made by others and private labeled by other companies (MTD, Poulan, etc.). Hard to know. No ‘standard’ interface, cause they want you to stick with their brand. Battery powered lines seem to be more proprietary.

I had some garage sale finds that I posted on CL; I let people try them with their power heads. All went to guys with different brands.

Trial and error may be the only way to know for sure.

Philbert

I've read that Tanaka, Redmax and Husqvarna are interchangeable, but I can't vouch for that. I'd love that to be true because I have a split shaft Tanaka trimmer and would love a couple attachments for it, but they're basically not available in the US it seems.

I've read that Tanaka, Redmax and Husqvarna are interchangeable, but I can't vouch for that. I'd love that to be true because I have a split shaft Tanaka trimmer and would love a couple attachments for it, but they're basically not available in the US it seems.
I know all the cheaper ones are square and shindiawa and I believe honda are splined shaft.

They are mostly the same shaft/attachment but sometimes (stihl) have different or weird release/lock systems. I have stihl stuff that I use on my Husqvarna powerhead with very easy/safe/slight modification.

I know that Husqvarna, have a "pro" powerhead system that is not interchangeable with the others. What's stupid is they use the exact same powerhead and cord/braid inside the shaft, but just use a different mounting point. Those are not interchangeable with the poulan/toro/trimmerplus/stihl other brands. I have heard but not verified that the stihl powerheads are picky as to what attachments they will accept. The husqvarna seems to work with everything unless you have the husqvarna pro powerhead

My Kobalt 80v trimmer powerhead takes "standard" trimmer attachments, and has had no trouble with a cultivator or hedge trimmer attachment. Homeowner level stuff, but perfect for what we do.

Most all of the residential grade stuff is interchangeable. My father in law had abunch of attachments and he would get about 2 years out of a new troy bilt trimmer. I ended up finding him a early 1990s troy bilt 4 stroke and as old as it is it’s still going.
I also would look into echo as that would be your best most reliable powerhead for those attachments if it will fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stihl has a locator pin on theirs and won't take anyone's else is attachment. My brother has a Stihl and I've got a Husqvarna, attachments won't swap. But I can run trimmer plus attachments. I've got a 128LD.

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Try this site http://www.tanaka-usa.com/
Then go to dealer locator, I found several shops near me. The site is kind of wonky but you may be able to find a dealer near you and go shop there.
I have a couple of Tanaka/Hitachi trimmers and bought an articulating hedgetrimmer head for them years ago when Bailey''s had them on sale - they weren't cheap, even on sale and I think it was a closeout. The one I bought was not for a split shaft, but was the type you bolt on to the end of the trimmer shaft. It has a splined drive I think maybe 7 splines. Was a very high quality unit.
Some husky's have splined shafts and some are square - I went through a lot of looking to find the right shaft and trimmer head years ago. Found out they are definitely not all compatible even between different Huskies.

Latest posts

Back